Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iwater problem again

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by robertjones, Sep 27, 2014.

1. robertjones

robertjones Regular Member

20140927_162517.jpg On a run out today, stuck in traffic, notice temp gauge went up slightly, once moving again it came back down but on parking up noticed a water leak under the car, when I checked the coolant level it had dropped quite a lot, filled it up with water and set off back home on journey bsck , car was running hot and rad seemed to be pressurising , kept topping up water to get back, noticed ths the plastic pipe between the top hose and thr engine block seemed to be damaged, could this cause the engine to pressurisd, although it doesnt seem to be any leak from there

2. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend
    Supporter The M44 Massive

you need to find where the leak is coming from

3. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Over the years I've seen pinholes that erupt steam which then condenses a fair ways away from the exit hole. Warm up your engine and use a flashlight to check and see if this is possibly happening. Sometimes with expansion the hole opens and disappears when the pressure is off as the coolant drops heat. HTH JIM

4. robertjones

Car is in garage, found leaking radiator, the plastic pipe in the pic. has a crack in and also a connector somewhere at the rear of the engine is leaking,.all this on a car that has done 90k, my other z3 had done 99k and also had to have a new rad. bloody annoying, would advise anyone buying one of these cars ,with these sort of mileages, to check out the cooling systems, as they seem to give up about then, or am i am just unlucky!?what is more annoying is that the temp gauge, apart from a slight blip, didnt show any signs to warn me , only glad it didnt blow the head gasket

• Like Like x 1
  5. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    The water pump on my 2.2 failed on about 98k. I think the usual suggestion is to replace them at 60k. I'd certainly suggest to anyone who buys a Zed and doesn't have a record of it being changed adding it to the list of things to sort!

• Like Like x 1
  6. robertjones

oh no something else to spend money on!

7. Fender2004

Fender2004 Zorg Addict
    British Zeds

Replacing the water pump is an easy job with the radiator out.

8. robertjones

Just got car back, new rad. ,also pipe shown in pic.( all part of the top hose,) so, new one of these plus new rear coolant pipe, also had a have a new ball joint fitted total cost £470. great seeing I have just bought the car

9. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Sorry to hear what it cost to replace the parts so soon after purchase. Unfortunately buying just about any used vehicle amounts to a crap shoot even if you know the previous owner. Sometimes it's impossible to find faults that can hide away only to show up once a driver with a different driving style gets behind the wheel. At least you now have a dependable vehicle you can drive without worry. JIM.

10. robertjones

Agreed, what is annoying is that the car had just gone through an mot before I bought it ,yet the garage found a badly worn drop link on one side and yet the m.o.t tester didnt even put it down as an advisory!

11. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

That happens, you get an 'asdvisory' and do nothing about it and at the next MOT nothing is mentioned.

12. robertjones

Would agree, normally, but this drop link was worn out, how anyone can have missed that, the car has only done 600 miles since test

13. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    My car passed the MOT even though all four tires were down to the wear bars. Good thing I was replacing them anyway. PO swore the tires were good, glad I didn't try the 2500 mi drive home on his word. Only needed a brake light bulb and tires to pass our safety. JIM

14. robertjones

2500 m, where the hell where you going, ?you probably wore your new tyres out by the time you got there!

15. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    No, I imported my car from the UK and planned on driving it from Halifax, NS to my home in Manitoba. Decided to have it transported instead when life jumped in the way of that plan. Tires will go on end of this week hopefully.