Introduction

david.rice

British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi,
Have just found this forum and it seems like a mine of useful information :D. I have had my 2001 Z3 3.0 for about 15 or 16 years now - for the first 10 years as a daily driver and for the last 5 as a second car. Unfortunately the car has seen better days now 😞. At the last MOT I got an advisory on corrosion on the rear suspension arms. I decided to have a look and clean up the rust and give them a coat of paint. However the angle grinder with a wire wheel in has revealed some holes in both the trailing arm and the subframe.

I've joined the forum to get some advice / understanding of how big a DIY job it would be to remove and refurbish the rear suspension, to decide if I could tackle it myself, should entrust the work to a garage, or its too big a job maybe even sell the car ☹

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi,
Have just found this forum and it seems like a mine of useful information :D. I have had my 2001 Z3 3.0 for about 15 or 16 years now - for the first 10 years as a daily driver and for the last 5 as a second car. Unfortunately the car has seen better days now 😞. At the last MOT I got an advisory on corrosion on the rear suspension arms. I decided to have a look and clean up the rust and give them a coat of paint. However the angle grinder with a wire wheel in has revealed some holes in both the trailing arm and the subframe.

I've joined the forum to get some advice / understanding of how big a DIY job it would be to remove and refurbish the rear suspension, to decide if I could tackle it myself, should entrust the work to a garage, or its too big a job maybe even sell the car ☹
Hi David and welcome from me near Lincoln. These rear arms can be repaired by welding up the holes caused through corrosion. It would be a shame to sell the car after this many years of ownership. Where are you located please?

Tony.

colb

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Bit of a treck for you but Zedshed HQ are the experts in refreshing the rear end and they just moved to a bigger workshop somewhere in the Basingstoke area. If you dont fancy doing it yourself maybe a chat with the guys down there to check out the possibilities.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Welcome to the forum and good luck with sorting the Zed.
Good to have another Rice on board
Will be in your neck of the woods with the Zeds in 3 weeks

Keet

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i M Sport
Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Ian&Sue

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 Z3
:welcome: from North Yorkshire.

Sue & Ian. :rally:

Have a look at Mazza's progress thread entitled "Refurb underway (finally)"

Last edited:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi David and :welcome: from me too in Stafford. Hope you can get your Zed sorted.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Welcome to the nut house @david.rice thanks for your nice message, we're really chuffed to have a much larger space to work in.

If you wanted a call one evening this week I can give you a crash course on what's involved stripped the rear subframe.