Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement Introducing the Zorg Resource Manager

Discussion in 'Site Announcements and Feedback' started by GazHyde, Sep 21, 2014.

1. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Hi all,

Just dipped in to my piggy bank to purchase the Resource Manager add on for the site. This will be configured to provide 2 specific requirements.
    • A link library to all those useful sites we keep referring to in posts
    • A download library for PDF's of manuals etc
    This will allow us to keep all the useful links and files all together in one place so we can find them easily. They will generically referred to as a "resource" irrespective of being a link or a file. I will eventually configure it so members can add the links/files themselves, but only once I'm sure its configured correctly.

So far I have created these resource categories, and I'm pretty sure we need others. Please let me know what I need to add and I'll get them sorted asap.
    upload_2014-9-21_14-2-40.png

Once a "resource" is created, a discussion thread will be auto-generated in a new sub-forum called "Resource Directory". I've deliberately not distributed these threads to existing model specific forums, as they have a specific purpose for the Resource Manager system.
    upload_2014-9-21_14-5-25.png

You will see the new threads created as I add various links and files I have in my personal library.

Resource threads will be strictly moderated and all off topic posts will be removed.

If you have any questions, just shout ;)

Gary

• Like Like x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    Thanks Gary sounds like a useful addition to a great site.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Well done Gary - another great addition.:scorecard:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Shelly

Shelly Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z4 2.2i
    Well done Gary , ;)
    I'm sure people will find them usefull:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend
    Supporter The M44 Massive

legendary, love the sound of this, I hope it will work like I think it will :)well done Garry ;)

6. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    It should work pretty well I think. With it being fully integrated in to the forum software (written by the same company) it will also show in the results when the main site search is used.
    upload_2014-9-21_21-11-4.png

Hoping to open it up tomorrow so people can add their own links they find useful, and any half decent PDFs which clutter up our hard drives. I have quite a few more to add as well. Should make quite a decent library as it grows.

7. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    OK, I have opened the Resource Manager up so that your can add useful stuff to it if you want. The process is fairly straight forwards...

1. Click "Add Resource"
    upload_2014-9-22_15-12-20.png

2. Select the area which best fits your link/file and click Continue (if you are already in a category it will assume you want to add to that one).
    upload_2014-9-22_15-11-49.png

3.Assign a prefix (only one will be available here), then give it a meaningful title (otherwise people won't know what it's for!)
    upload_2014-9-22_15-13-35.png

4. Enter a meaningful short tagline to briefly explain what the resource is about
    upload_2014-9-22_15-14-56.png

5. Ignore the Tags box - they are not needed.
    upload_2014-9-22_15-32-58.png

6. If it's a file you can upload it here, or if it's a website link click "Does not have a file".
    upload_2014-9-22_15-17-2.png

7. Add as much useful information in the description as possible, perhaps with some useful images. Look at how other resources have been added to get an idea.

If it is a link start the description as per the image below & add the URL to the "Additional Information URL" box.
    upload_2014-9-22_15-19-19.png

upload_2014-9-22_15-19-39.png

8. Tick "Upload resource icon" only if you are creating a 96x96px image to display in the resource list.

9. Click Save

The resource is then submitted to a moderation queue where it will be checked (and edited if needed) and then approved. Once approved it will be available to everyone (this may take a day or so till I get chance to look at it).