I love my Z4, and I love my Z3 ... but which is best?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Seriously though, took the Z4 for a little blast to B&Q this morning. Roof & windows down, sunshine, stereo up - huge smile on my face. This is what it's all about! Even passed an identical Sterling Grey Z4 on the way (failed to attract his attention though - roof up ~x( ).

Then when I get home, several emails from my mate who is currently looking after the Z3 for me with some lovely piccies post cleaning. I'm so glad I haven't sold the Z3 yet. Such a beatiful car!

So I have best of both worlds at the moment :ymdaydream: If only I could afford to run them both, and my daily driver.

Attachments

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Your a lucky boy Gaz ;)

Bet you'll miss the 3 when it's gone for good.. I still miss my 2.8 :(

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
I have driven the Z4. (lovely car)

My point of view is that its, just isn't not entirely, really, what...blah blah..call me Jeremy Clarkson

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
hard top said:
I have driven the Z4. (lovely car)
My point of view is that its, just isn't not entirely, really, what...blah blah..call me Jeremy Clarkson
Your point being what exactly?
You may as well drive a conventional saloon rather than a roadster with its hard top on all the time :ymdevil:

%-(

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
I find the Z4 more of a buisness type car rather than a sports car, but they are nice looking #:-s

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
I've decided to keeping the Z3, mulled over it for quite some time and had a few offers on the .net site. With taking delivery of the Z4 in April hopefully theoretically why would I need the Z3? but end of the day whilst I can afford too keep it and with Z3s being worth very little, well mine is, its pleasure far outweighs its value, it really isn't worth selling the Z3 for what what I would get for it.

For the short time a test drove the latest Z4 I didn't come back to the Z3 thinking its got too go which I think says alot for it :coolsteer)

Tim.

Z

zedonist

I think it is all in the moment, spent saturday night tearing around in my Z4 Sdrive 35is thinking never catch me rozza, then this morning top down shades on music up, tearing about in the Z3, and to be honest, the Z3 was the perfect car for the moment, and i found out today, you can also fit a Dyson upright cleaner in the boot! :coolsteer)

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
HornelZ3M said:
I find the Z4 more of a buisness type car rather than a sports car, but they are nice looking #:-s
I think the latest Z4 Paul is alot different from the old model. :ymsmug:

Tim.

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Yes Tim, i was referring to the bog standard ones, the newer ones look more sculptured. ;)

Z

zedonist

You are right Tim, it is no longer a Z3 replacement, it is a very nice stand alone model now...........

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Is it actually possible to compare the Z3 to the Z4 E85? There aren't really any shared components, and they are completely different cars. Which is I guess the point of my original post, I adore them both equally for what they are.

I guess you can compare the Z4 E85 to the Z4 E89 as I assume they share the same chassis(?). If I had the money (or at least a job) I probably would have tried for an E89. That said, it's on my future purchase list so I will get the best of all worlds having had all three :D

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Loved my Z3 :x the marmite model, enjoyed the drive, and what i found with the 3 if you
pass another out and about you would usualy get a flash of lights or a wave from your
fellow zedder.... Dont happen anymore now!!!!
BUT, the power out of this one when you want it is something else. Sort of makes
up for all the missing waves... :D

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
There have been many threads about "which is the best Zroadster". People talk about looks, running costs, power etc etc and it never seems to be resolved so its time for a vote. There are 5 choices below, vote for your favourite in running order e.g. 5-3-2-1-4.

1- Z3 3.0 in blue
2- Z3 3.0 in black
3- Z3 3.0 in silver
4- Z3 3.0 in green
5- Z3 3.0 in red

At last, we will be able to put this one to bed.

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
peteslag said:
There have been many threads about "which is the best Zroadster". People talk about looks, running costs, power etc etc and it never seems to be resolved so its time for a vote. There are 5 choices below, vote for your favourite in running order e.g. 5-3-2-1-4.

1- Z3 3.0 in blue
2- Z3 3.0 in black
3- Z3 3.0 in silver
4- Z3 3.0 in green
5- Z3 3.0 in red

Can I vote for the Astra Convertible? :car)

Tim.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
TitanTim said:
peteslag said:

1- Z3 3.0 in blue
2- Z3 3.0 in black
3- Z3 3.0 in silver
4- Z3 3.0 in green
5- Z3 3.0 in red

Can I vote for the Astra Convertible? :car)

Tim.
That Astra convertible was quite possibly the worst car I have ever owned. Horrible car :(

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
i had the choice a coupe of month back and did go cash in hand to see a few 4s....and TBH i couldn't have parted with the cash...dont get me wrong there a stunning car but its just not for me at the mo...when i bought the 3 i didnt know anything about them...just knew that its what i wanted....so when i was stood on a forecourt in chester looking at the 4 i had the cash i was ready to test drive it.....but in the back of my mind was what is the Z3M like and my mind was made up there and then..its going to be the Z3M..i cant resist the classic looks of it, especially when you see a goodun.
so which one is best.....it depends on what your after?
i wonder which will attract the crowds at shows in the future ?

Zed Carer

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
GazHyde said:
Is it actually possible to compare the Z3 to the Z4 E85? There aren't really any shared components, and they are completely different cars. Which is I guess the point of my original post, I adore them both equally for what they are.

I guess you can compare the Z4 E85 to the Z4 E89 as I assume they share the same chassis(?). If I had the money (or at least a job) I probably would have tried for an E89. That said, it's on my future purchase list so I will get the best of all worlds having had all three :D
The Z3 and Z4 E85 do share some components; e.g. the front calipers, discs and pads are the same on my 99 Z3 and my wife's 07 Z4 - makes life easier - but the rear discs are different. I've not checked any other parts and I wouldn't be so mean as to "borrow" bits off her car. :D However I don't think that you can compare the two and we tend to use them differently; e.g. going for a day out then the Z3 usually gets the vote but going to Scotland for 4 or 5 days then it's usually the Z4 as we find it a better long distance cruiser. But if I'm going to Scotland on my own then I'll generally take the Z3 but not use the A1 as there are lots of nice B roads in Northumberland.

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
The thing I like about the Z3M compared too say the Z4M is that type of car will never be produced again by BMW, it simply wouldn't be allowed, i.e. big capacity engine in a chassis that was borderline in handling the power and in such a lighweight car, its does make you sad but the way of the world, safety has overtaken everything, not necessarily a bad thing but I feel has taken away those exciting types of cars.

BMW has already announced there will be no M version of the E89, although M version of diesels in other models has been announced 8-} I find it a real shame though that 6cyl engines are dissapearing in the newer models :(

Tim.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
HornelZ3M said:
peteslag i think the topic is Z3 or Z4 not coloured 3 ltrs :-? ;)
I know, just having a bit of a giggle.

As you can probably tell, I'm a Z3 fan (especially the 3.0). Don't get me wrong, I think the Z4 is a better car but I'm not that bothered about ride quality and that sort of thing on a car like this. For me, it is all about the looks and how I feel behind the wheel. I like the way the car handles and love the retro styling. I can understand why people prefer the Z4 but it doesn't float my boat. Mind you....... I saw a shiney black Z4M the other day.......it looked mighty fine........I'll bet it goes like the clappers as well B-)