Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I would so love to do that, how do you seperate the wax from the honey

Dalek

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Auto
Firstly we use a warm knife to cut the wax capping that the bees have put on to seal the honey into the honeycomb (pic 3). We then put the frames into a spinner and centrifugal force does the rest. (pic 5).

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I've been doing some research into apiary and find it fascinating, especially how the colony decide when its time for a new queen or drones, now that surprsed me.
I have also read that honey is the only known food to man that does not go bad

Dalek

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Auto
I've been doing some research into apiary and find it fascinating, especially how the colony decide when its time for a new queen or drones, now that surprsed me.
I have also read that honey is the only known food to man that does not go bad
It is a fascinating hobby. It is amazing watching how the hive is organised, with each bee working on a particular task.
As someone who hates sugar and does not have a sweet tooth at all I was surprised how much I enjoy honey drizzled on hot toast!

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
Our son in law has a few bee hives and we all get roped into the separation process lol. But we’ve been lucky as our neighbors have always kept some hives on our patch . Both he and our sons partner work for Hill top Honey but that is a lot more industrial they source a lot of their honey from Europe.This is my favourite
CEE2B891-D6AB-4215-BD51-E0263F5D71FC.jpeg

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
Looks great and I bet it tastes lovely too. I love honey oat bread ... must make another batch sometime soon.

Like Mike, I was lucky enough to have a school where we kept bees too.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
Just had a chat with the wife and we have both agreed that as of next summer we will have our first hive
Good luck it’s a really nice hobby ,it can be quite expensive too get started and like most things it’s harder than it looks ,but very rewarding and without being patronising you do sound as though you have the patience to make a success of it.Our son in law joined the local bee keeping club and of course there’s forums but each hive has differences lol

Dalek

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Auto
Looks great and I bet it tastes lovely too. I love honey oat bread ... must make another batch sometime soon.

Like Mike, I was lucky enough to have a school where we kept bees too.
Please post your recipe for honey oat bread. Sounds delicious.

Dalek

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Auto
Good luck it’s a really nice hobby ,it can be quite expensive too get started and like most things it’s harder than it looks ,but very rewarding and without being patronising you do sound as though you have the patience to make a success of it.Our son in law joined the local bee keeping club and of course there’s forums but each hive has differences lol
I have teamed up with a local pest controller and we go and collect bee swarms from peoples gardens etc. Free bees! :)

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I've been looking at hives and the price varies massively, can you recommend a good starter hive if there is such a thing

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
I've been looking at hives and the price varies massively, can you recommend a good starter hive if there is such a thing
These are the ones our son in law uses and has been successful for him our neighbors use regular wooden ones but he just liked the idea of modern materials and it is very well insulated we do have a wide temperature variation here.
View: https://youtu.be/wopygJo0JLA

Dalek

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Auto
You could try contacting your local bee keepers, they sometimes have secondhand equipment for sale. All our hives are secondhand.

Braz86

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
My grandad was a beekeeper, used to love the fresh honey. He used to make mead too apparently, but I was a bit young then. I'd love to bee-keep, purely to make mead!

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
My grandad was a beekeeper, used to love the fresh honey. He used to make mead too apparently, but I was a bit young then. I'd love to bee-keep, purely to make mead!
I was only readinng about making mead last night as I have a crop of black currents and they go very well with honey mead

Braz86

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
I was only readinng about making mead last night as I have a crop of black currents and they go very well with honey mead
I think I have some fruity mead somewhere. But then I do have about 4 or 5 different bottles of mead kicking around!