Hi - would appreciate some advice.

Alasdair

Hi all. New to the forum. Got a '97 Z3 2.8 Roadster that's picked up a few issues so have been looking at the forum for advice.

Both my wing mirror bases have corroded and one mirror has fallen off completely so I' going to use the x8r repair kits that have been mooted on the forum (https://x8r.co.uk/bmw-z3-e36-outside-wing-door-mirror-spindle-repair-fix). They arrived today and I have two queries. Firstly, the new unfitted spindles dont seem to rotate on their bases - I thought they were supposed to. Unless they just incredibly stiff. Secondly, although there's a good vid on fitting the spindles to the wing mirrors, there isn't much about actually reomving the wing mirrors from the car. I'm not particularly keen to remove the door insert, is this a requirement? If anyones got any tips on removeing the old wing mirrors that'd be much appreciated.

Lastly, I also have an issue with both seats sliding back and forwards on the runners a fraction when accelerating and braking. I think this is also a common problem. x8r also offer a solution - https://x8r.co.uk/bmw-z3-z3m-seat-rail-track-runner-subframe-mechanism-replacement-bush-repair - I just wondered if anyone has tried this and what their experience of fitting it was?

Many thanks inadvance for your help.

Alasdair

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project
Hi and welcome to the forum.:welcome:

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:welcome: Hi and welcome from me too :coolsteer)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Alasdair, firstly welcome to the forum from me near Lincoln. Now, the mirrors will turn once fitted to the doors and they will probably be delivered in the position required to screw them to the door. They are very difficult to turn without being fitted.
I personally have no experience with these as the ones on my old Z3 were in good nick, but I've read many posts on here about it.
The seat bushes can be bought off the forum, please send @Aceman a PM , he supplies them and I'm sure he will offer advice too.

Tony.

ps. Where are you located?

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Hi and welcome from Surrey, whereabouts are you based. :welcome:

ZTec

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hello and welcome from the Vale of Glamorgan.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Hi, you will have to remove the door card to fit the electrics

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Hi, you will have to remove the door card to fit the electrics
I changed my drivers door mirror without removing the door card. You need to be careful but undo the 2 mirror base bolts and carefully pull the wires until the electrical connector comes through the hole.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hi all. New to the forum. Got a '97 Z3 2.8 Roadster that's picked up a few issues so have been looking at the forum for advice.

Both my wing mirror bases have corroded and one mirror has fallen off completely so I' going to use the x8r repair kits that have been mooted on the forum (https://x8r.co.uk/bmw-z3-e36-outside-wing-door-mirror-spindle-repair-fix). They arrived today and I have two queries. Firstly, the new unfitted spindles dont seem to rotate on their bases - I thought they were supposed to. Unless they just incredibly stiff. Secondly, although there's a good vid on fitting the spindles to the wing mirrors, there isn't much about actually reomving the wing mirrors from the car. I'm not particularly keen to remove the door insert, is this a requirement? If anyones got any tips on removeing the old wing mirrors that'd be much appreciated.

Lastly, I also have an issue with both seats sliding back and forwards on the runners a fraction when accelerating and braking. I think this is also a common problem. x8r also offer a solution - https://x8r.co.uk/bmw-z3-z3m-seat-rail-track-runner-subframe-mechanism-replacement-bush-repair - I just wondered if anyone has tried this and what their experience of fitting it was?

Many thanks inadvance for your help.

Alasdair
Welcome to the forum from Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey. Any pics of the car? We'd be happy to see them..................Frankie

BillyB

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Individual Roadster
:welcome:from Edinburgh

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I changed my drivers door mirror without removing the door card. You need to be careful but undo the 2 mirror base bolts and carefully pull the wires until the electrical connector comes through the hole.
I couldnt get mine out, it was stuck further down

Alasdair

Thanks guys. I'm based in London.

Thanks for the advice re the seat brushes @t-tony - I'll look up at @Aceman as per your suggestion.

So I removed one of the wing mirrors today. I did manage it without removing the door card but not without damaging the glass +/- the inside servo motor.

I was under the impression that the glass and backing plate were supposed to pop of the ring of white plastic attached to the servo motor but when I tried to lever it off, a) the glass cracked and b), instead of the mirror coming of the servo motor frame, the ring of the servo motor broke off! I've posted some pics below. I still can't seem to get the backing plate of the white ring even now it's off the car.

I'm pretty reticent to try the other side now in case the same thing happens. The clips just seem to strong to be popped off. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to repair the old servo motor frame or will need to source a new one. Bit of a pain.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Alasdair

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
:welcome:

BMBabe

Zorg Guru (V)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome from Aylesbury :p

Alasdair

So, some progress...

Got the mirror off the white servo motor fram and miraculously managed to get the white ring back onto the servo motor without breaking the whole lot. So it looks like I only need a new mirror.

However, just to make sure the motor still worked, I plugged it into the relevant cables from the car and tried the wing mirror knob.. nothing. Wierdly, the other side (which I haven't touched... yet) also doesn't work. What have I done to the electrics!?

I did have to move the car having taken the mirrror off and I wonder if the wing mirror motor wire terminals touched while the car was on could I have shorted something? Blown a fuse?

Nothing's ever easy.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project
Looks like it is fuse 24. (10 amp)

These may help
0CD44E47-BCF5-4313-936F-A6CFAD8E913C.jpeg

7315E5E2-D72C-4704-9C5D-FEDC902D0B2C.jpeg