HELP! Engine Management Light on and no power...

ZedLeppelin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0l E85
Hi everyone,

I have just had an engine management light come on and my car has either gone into limp home mode or has seen a massive loss of power (2.0litre 2006 z4, 67k miles).

There is now no acceleration whatsoever but the car does start and allows me to drive it. Is it ok to drive still? It will cause me havoc at work if I can't :/

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? expensive to fix?

It seems to come out of the blue which is odd. I have seen that it could be an 02 sensor, camshaft sensor or even spark plugs if it is due to a misfiring cylinder? Could this be correct?

I am praying this is not an expensive fix :(:nailbiting:

If anyone could offer suggestions or has had this happen themselves then I would be grateful for their input.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
It sounds like limp mode any number of reasons and the easiest to answer it would be a code read.Most limp modes restrict the engine to about 30mph so they go but when you hit that it will go no more.
There may be somone local to you that can read the codes for you and clear them.

BMBabe

Zorg Guru (V)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
@ZedLeppelin sorry but I don't have an answer but I have tagged some Z4 owners on your post who may be available to help :thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Matt, sounds exactly like mine did when the Inlet cam sensor failed. Absolutely gutless, but just driveable.

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Code reader first, sounds like a Cam sensor but could be as simple as the MAF or a split in the induction hoses.

The other possibility with the 2.0 Z4 is the exhaust manifolds are known to have issues @EnthuZiaZT Mike knows about that, but not sure if it causes this kind of issue.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
We had a 2.0 in at work with cracked manifold and while it did trigger the EM light the engine ran ok. Code reading is always the first port of call.

Tony.

ZedLeppelin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0l E85
Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your help! Looks like code reading is a first point of call and now at least i have some ideas as to what it could be. You are all awesome - thank you!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You can buy yourself a basic code reader cheaply enough off eBay Matt. They're really easy to use too. Shame you're not closer to me.

Tony.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
When the engine management light came on, on mine. The engine continued to run perfectly well, no loss of power. The diagnosis was a cracked manifold.
This sounds like it could be something else, cam sensor, maybe even a coil pack.

Mike

ZedLeppelin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0l E85
You can buy yourself a basic code reader cheaply enough off eBay Matt. They're really easy to use too. Shame you're not closer to me.

Tony.
Thanks for your help. It is really appreciated - everyones responses show what a great forum this really is. Hopefully as I live close to mwpe, I can take him up on his offer of using his code reader.

Hopefully it isn't anything too problematic and I can find out what it is

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
When the engine management light came on, on mine. The engine continued to run perfectly well, no loss of power. The diagnosis was a cracked manifold.
Thanks for clarifying Mike!

ZedLeppelin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0l E85
This sounds like it could be something else, cam sensor, maybe even a coil pack.

Mike
Hmmm yeah it does seem different to that. It really is limping around with no acceleration so it does't seem to be the same issue/a cracked manifold if that is the case. Hopefully if it is a sensor or a coil pack it should be a reasonably cheap fix.

ZedLeppelin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0l E85
Code reader first, sounds like a Cam sensor but could be as simple as the MAF or a split in the induction hoses.

The other possibility with the 2.0 Z4 is the exhaust manifolds are known to have issues @EnthuZiaZT Mike knows about that, but not sure if it causes this kind of issue.
This is great - thank you. Didn't read about the induction hoses so will take a look online about costs if that is the case. Definitely going to code read it first of course as this is clearly the first port of call. Even if it isn't the manifolds now - it is good to know that it is a known issue that I can keep an eye out for/be aware of so thank you

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Just a thought, have you checked the air ducting between the filter and the maf unit, is it still attached.
Mike

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hmmm yeah it does seem different to that. It really is limping around with no acceleration so it does't seem to be the same issue/a cracked manifold if that is the case. Hopefully if it is a sensor or a coil pack it should be a reasonably cheap fix.
To be honest Matt, if it had been a cracked exhaust manifold, you would have heard a different note of engine noise anyhow.

Tony.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
To be quite honest @t-tony I could not hear any noise from mine. These engines have stainless steel manifolds, as the engine moves in relation to the exhaust, which is held rigid by a bracket underneath the car, the metal stresses. Small stress cracks start to form drawing in air. The extra air in the manifold upsets the lambda censor and triggers the engine management light to show on the dash. On the six pots the manifolds are made of cast iron.

ZedLeppelin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0l E85
Just a thought, have you checked the air ducting between the filter and the maf unit, is it still attached.
Mike
Thanks for this!

I have just been to check (albeit with an iPhone torch) - I can't see that it has come off. It all looks in tact to my untrained eye! Nothing in the engine bay area looks amiss to me. I can't see any cracks in any hosing either but it is dark.