HELP BONNET WILL NOT OPEN

pete59

Zorg Addict
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Looks like the cables snapped on my bonnet,and i cant open it.anybody knows how to get and replace please.thanks pete.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi Pete,

Do you know where it has snapped? I think you can disconnect it from under the dash, then using a pliers pull on the cable. It may help if someone puts pressure on the bonnet while you pull.

Hope that helps, but the issue is knowing where the cable has broken!

Gary

pete59

Zorg Addict
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
not sure gaz i think its broke, but did that and i expected the cable to just pull out but it stops,and still does not open so god knows.looks like might have to try and reach up though the grills,takeing it to my garage in morning to see if they can get to the cable between the to locks,its a complete pain

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Was going to suggest taking out the grills, but obviously they aren't really designed to come out by being pulled from the front!

I had a similar issue a while back where it jammed rather than snapped. Bloody frustrating!

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Hi Pete,

If the cable is snapped the only real access is to take out the left grill (as you stand in front of the car), the cable can be accessed from there. Not an easy job to do but can be done. The cable comes in to the first bonnet catch and then there is a separate link cable to the second bonnet catch.

Brian

pete59

Zorg Addict
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Brian its booked in for mon at our local garage who look after the zed,it seems that your idea is good because i think the link cable has broke ,there is still tenstion on the cable,they can remove the vent stips on the grill because i have those very disliked mesh upper glills,that clip over the top of those,many thanks mate.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Hope you get it sorted on Monday, let us know.

pete59

Zorg Addict
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Job done,Just a word of warning,check that the two bonnet locking spring catches are not rusty around the the bolts or shafts,the reason the cable broke and locked shut is that a spring broke on the near side and bent into the cup,this job has cost £300 quid to cut off this catch and re place the bits ,the labour is over 4 hrs,i am lucky,its a family member.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Glad you have it sorted.