Hello

gmybeer

Hello,
I'm new here, and have recently bought a non running repossessed 2001 Z3 for too much money, and too far away. I'm learning all the wrong ways to do this by first hand mistakes.
No worries, and I still love the car.
My non locking gas cap won't unscrew, and I'm trying to remove old gas to replace it with fresh gas.
Can anyone tell me why I can't move the cap? I can tighten it 1/4 turn until I hear a click, and I can go back 1/4 turn from tight, but it won't budge further.
Any Help?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome: to the Forum from West Cumbria, England. Not really sure on your gas cap as mine's a locking one, does it push in and turn? Good luck with your project. Got any pics?

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:welcome: Hi and welcome from me too :coolsteer)
:scorecard: Good luck with your project :highfive:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Hi from a Mansfield UK.

BMBabe

Zorg Guru (V)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome from Aylesbury in the uk a few :thumbsup:members on here from your way :p
@oldcarman

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Welcome,

Your gas cap will only move a short distance, so that's normal - it's not a screw on. In the anti clockwise position you may need to give it a strong pull, it's not uncommon for them to become difficult to remove.

This all assumes that it's the correct cap and hasn't been replaced with something that happens to fit! This is the style of what it should look like, it's a random picture from another BMW but should give you the idea.

upload_2017-3-7_8-2-23.png

Gary

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi @gmybeer, :welcome: to the forum from me too in Staffordshire, UK. Good luck with your project :thumbsup:

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hello and welcome hope you manage to resolve the issues and a great choice in car ....enjoy :thumbsup:

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Welcome on the forum from me too.....:)
I had that problem with the gas cap once, but I was very, very drunk at the time.....;)

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hello,
I'm new here, and have recently bought a non running repossessed 2001 Z3 for too much money, and too far away. I'm learning all the wrong ways to do this by first hand mistakes.
No worries, and I still love the car.
My non locking gas cap won't unscrew, and I'm trying to remove old gas to replace it with fresh gas.
Can anyone tell me why I can't move the cap? I can tighten it 1/4 turn until I hear a click, and I can go back 1/4 turn from tight, but it won't budge further.
Any Help?
Welcome to the forum from Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey. My gas cap is the locking kind. Sorry I couldn't help. .................Frankie

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
:welcome:

gmybeer

Hello back to all of you that replied. It's nice to meet such a bunch of friendly supportive Z3 lovers.
I received one reply that advised that I just have a stuck gasket on the gas cap and I need to apply more force.
I am in Canada, and the car is 6 km away in the US. I will give it another try in a day or so. In the meantime, I have about 9 days of storage left where it is, so I have hired a customs broker, and rented a trailer, and hope to have my my baby home in 3 days. I will be able to make more progress where most of my tools are, and can stop wasting money on logistics.

Thanks again for all of your hellos and well wishes.

gmybeer

:welcome: to the Forum from West Cumbria, England. Not really sure on your gas cap as mine's a locking one, does it push in and turn? Good luck with your project. Got any pics?
Sorry, no pics yet because She hasn't been home for a bath yet. She was hauled on an open carrier from San Francisco to the Cdn border in winter, so needs the bath. Has a dent in the grille, and others, but that's life. The cap doesn't push in, but another member advised that I apply more force. That will be next.
Thanks