Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone fitted this rear window?

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Jackster, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Jackster

Jackster Dedicated Member

Hi guys, need to get the hard top off, trouble is rear window needs replacing. Has anyone tried these from ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Co...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20e16c2f10

If no good can anyone recommend a decent fitter in the South Yorks, North Lincs area?

Will also be looking for a body shop same region, rear arches are bubbling and bonnet could do with a blast too.

Cheers

Jackster

2. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brilie

brilie Zorg Guru (III)

Model of Z:
    2.8 roadster
    I too have fitted one if these windows.A little bit of a fiddle
    But managed it on the second attempt.It looks as good as
    Any,as aceman says it's good value for the money.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rudyrov

Rudyrov Zorg Legend
    American Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 L Roadster
    Has anyone had issues with the zipper on the top side (not window) having thread failure?
    My zipper to canvas top connection points are coming apart.

5. Jackster

thanks for replies guys, will give it a go I think.

6. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Hi, I too have purchased the same window but now find out it can't be shipped with my car so the plan is to find someone with experience to install it before shipping to Canada. Any volunteers near Hounslow Middlesex.? Please let me know here or PM The car leave there for the shipyard around the end of the month. Thanks, JIM
    Ps forgot to mention I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for gas and service.

#6 oldcarman, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steve F

Steve F Regular Member
    American Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Roadster 1.9, 1.9 DASC, 2.5i and an M
    Yes, it is not uncommon to have to re-stitch the zipper back to the top. The original thread seems to just dissolve with exposure to sunlight. A good carpet or upholstery thread and heavy gauge needles can be purchased from a yardage store. It is best to have two people, one outside and one inside. Leave the top loose and raised a little above the windshield frame and pin the zipper to the top to gain alignment. Stitch it together cautiously trying to go through the original holes and skip a stitch on the inside so you can back stitch on the outside to make it look right.

• Like Like x 1
  8. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Hi, just to add to Steve's answer, start by tying a knot in the thread, start from the inside a few stitches back to insure that you get the existing threads trapped and then stitch past the loose part by the same amount before tying off on the inside. Before starting though it's a good idea to check all along the complete seam to make sure you catch all the loose threaded areas. Good luck! JIM

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jackster

Hi Well tried five times this afternoon, and although everything seemed to go ok. as i lowered and raised the hood the zip would pop first one side then the other, Am working the weekend so next chance to have a go will be tuesday. All I can think is I am misaligning by a couple of teeth each time. Any tips appreciated.

Regards

Jackster

10. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Hi Jim, I can do it for £500 per hour plus expenses, fuel, car, hotel, meals etc.

It will take 8 hours minimum, weather permitting, add another 12 for snow, I will be hiring a Bentley for travel, and stopping at the nearest Raddison on the top floor penthouse, I will be eating mainly lobster and caviar. I will buy all new tools from snap on for this job, and will need the latest iPhone to enable me to contact you in an emergency.

I find I get booked up very quickly, so if you want me to do it please book by return.

P.S. No refunds given or warranty inferred.

11. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Hi, please submit all of your expenses upon completion of the job and once verified will reimburse you plus a bonus if the window actually doesn't leak worse than it does now. I appreciate your generosity and willingness to sacrifice your time to assist me with this problem. It reinforces my feeling that this is a loving, caring forum made up of people from all walks of life coming together for the greater good and I hope you enjoy your weekend. JIM

• Like Like x 1
  12. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Jim, that's great, happy to help, it won't leak when I have finished, well snow won't get past the gaps anyway. Please deposit a retaining fee equivalent to 150% of the end fee to my bank and I will do it by lunch time today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    I'll have to get back to you as the car may get picked up for transport to the shipyard tomorrow and I'm not sure if it's morning or afternoon. Perhaps you could work on it as it's being transported, should take about the same amount of time. I may buy another Zed close to the shipyard if you wouldn't mind driving it there I'll get the driver to swing by there and you can follow him to the yard. Wow! You're some guy to do all this for someone you've never met. The world needs more people like you. Thanks, JIM.

14. zedonist

zedonist Guest

I know Jim, if only other people were just like me, it would be a nicer place to live..............

• Like Like x 1