Has anyone ever had flood damage

andydav66

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
I managed to get stuck in floodwater yesterday in my Z3 3.0l, water came into the footwell and the boot. Engine also cut-out which suggests it got in the engine. Im assuming this will be write off, any experience of this issue and also the insurance company if you had a write off situation with a car that may be worth more than book. Thanks for any insight

Attachments

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Sorry to hear that. I would be very suprised if the insurance company didn't write it off I'm afraid.

You'll be able to deal with the drying out of the interior yourself if you are okay with a set of spanners. Most of the electrics are situated high up in the car so you might be okay there. And it's only control modules, other sealed electrical boxes of tricks not the loom itself that would be affected anyway as the loom will dry out.

Did you try and run the engine after it flooded? That may help determine if the engine is knackered or not. Bit it won't be good news if water has got inside it.

My point is think carefully about letting the insurance company write it off, particularly if you are thinking of buying it back as it will never be worth the same if it's a Cat registered car. I've often wondered if the insurance company will just write a cheque to let you go and do the repairs yourself without writing off the car. Personally I would look at that. To the extent I would consider buying a car in that condition to restore. I've done a complete loom replacement before with a car where the loom went up and melted.

andydav66

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Thanks for the reply,

The air filter was soaked and water was sitting at the bottom of the bit you insert it in. The bottom parts of the seats are still in a 4-5" pool of water and the battery is in water as well. The other concerning thing water seemed to be behind the radio which may have just been condensation. The main issue or cost risk is the engine which would be the biggest cost item to replace as im not a mechanic

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
So sorry to read about your mishap with your Z. I can’t advise but wish you well in getting to the bottom of whether your car is repairable.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Thanks for the reply,

The air filter was soaked and water was sitting at the bottom of the bit you insert it in. The bottom parts of the seats are still in a 4-5" pool of water and the battery is in water as well. The other concerning thing water seemed to be behind the radio which may have just been condensation. The main issue or cost risk is the engine which would be the biggest cost item to replace as im not a mechanic
Any other M54 engine and you stand half a chance of picking a good one up for £200-£300. But a 3.0 you don’t normally get much change out of £800

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Total miscalculation going through a Ford I’ve been through many times before
Sorry to be so blunt - you can tell when water is unusually high on roads - shouldn’t take chances like that - particularly in a low set car!🙈

andydav66

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Sorry to be so blunt - you can tell when water is unusually high on roads - shouldn’t take chances like that - particularly in a low set car!🙈
Yep I know can’t blame anyone else - ironic thing is I never took it out in the wet - I’m quite sad about the whole thing as everyone will appreciate on here it’s a more emotional connection compared to your normal A to B car

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
It cost me over 4K to have a rebuild on my ///M due to spun shell bearing but that was with ///M tax price had literally doubled the price of a none ///M.

Having a quick google about saving a flood damaged engine in fresh water is to remove the plugs and turn over by hand to expell water out of the cylinders then drain oil and replace with the filter and empty petrol tank if water got in and try and start. If it does recheck the oil and if water present redrain oil and change filter again, rinse and repeat. Personally if you really want to keep the car I would try the first step and if it runs ok have the engine out striped down cleaned, may as well change the oil pump, tensioners and chain while in there a rehone and set of rings, main bearings and shells. I suppose it’s going to come down to how much electrical there is to modules but I suppose you could strip out the dash and modules and place in the airing cupboard for a week and get some dehumidifiers and heaters in the car after stripping the interior out and see if you can get it thoroughly dried out.

A lot of work , time and who knows how much expense in replacement modules etc, or put it down to a life experience no one hurt take the insurance money and add a bit more and look for another replacement. Good luck with what you decide to do.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
It cost me over 4K to have a rebuild on my ///M due to spun shell bearing but that was with ///M tax price had literally doubled the price of a none ///M.

Having a quick google about saving a flood damaged engine in fresh water is to remove the plugs and turn over by hand to expell water out of the cylinders then drain oil and replace with the filter and empty petrol tank if water got in and try and start. If it does recheck the oil and if water present redrain oil and change filter again, rinse and repeat. Personally if you really want to keep the car I would try the first step and if it runs ok have the engine out striped down cleaned, may as well change the oil pump, tensioners and chain while in there a rehone and set of rings, main bearings and shells. I suppose it’s going to come down to how much electrical there is to modules but I suppose you could strip out the dash and modules and place in the airing cupboard for a week and get some dehumidifiers and heaters in the car after stripping the interior out and see if you can get it thoroughly dried out.

A lot of work , time and who knows how much expense in replacement modules etc, or put it down to a life experience no one hurt take the insurance money and add a bit more and look for another replacement. Good luck with what you decide to do.
Sounds sensible advice. Though things are starting to get very expensive to have the engine stripped down, cleaned and refreshed in that way. Possibly approaching the price of an off the shelf recon engine. Mind you I think finding a reputable engine builder is a job in itself.

I'd be hoping it starts after the quick checks and be keeping my fingers crossed in the belief there's nothing to loose.

If time and circumstances permitted I'd love to give you a hand as it's a 3.0. But sadly not appropriate. Would hate to see this lost as a write-off.

Btw I have an obsession with fords ever since I was a child encouraging my Dad to drive through them. But I wouldn't do it unless I could see the bottom which probably means it's a seasonal thing.

andydav66

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3

Thanks for the reply I’m not a mechanic and it’s already been collected by the insurance company