Hardtop/M side grills

Chris_st2

Hi, Has anyone had any issues before with one side of their hardtop being slightly higher than the other side. I fitted a hardtop to my car a couple months ago and the drivers side (rhd) is higher than passenger so air comes in before the sun visor and bits of water also leak in ?? Also do z3m side grills just straight fit where factory z3 one does or anyone selling some in the Uk as I want some. Any advice muchly appreciated
Thanks
Chris

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Unfortunately cant help you with the hardtop but the M side grilles are straight fit on
I have them on my Dakar
20220305_164715.jpg

Stephen

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Hi. I am on my second hardtop.
my first one was warped and had to do repairs to fix.
For the second one, that is straight,I started installing front to back and when I was satisfied with a snug fit on the A pillars then adjusted the rear accordingly.
fits ok after this. Seems that adjustments from previous owners are not plug and play for all cars.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
They usually are good money, especially if none of the fixings are broken.

Tony.

Chris_st2

Hi. I am on my second hardtop.
my first one was warped and had to do repairs to fix.
For the second one, that is straight,I started installing front to back and when I was satisfied with a snug fit on the A pillars then adjusted the rear accordingly.
fits ok after this. Seems that adjustments from previous owners are not plug and play for all cars.
Might try that as I secure the clips are the rear in first then tighten the bolts by the windscreen

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Hi, Has anyone had any issues before with one side of their hardtop being slightly higher than the other side. I fitted a hardtop to my car a couple months ago and the drivers side (rhd) is higher than passenger so air comes in before the sun visor and bits of water also leak in ?? Also do z3m side grills just straight fit where factory z3 one does or anyone selling some in the Uk as I want some. Any advice muchly appreciated
Thanks
Chris
In this picture look at the vertical line of the hardtop and the leading edge of the rear wing. This needs to be perfectly in line. If the roof is just a few mm too far forward or too far back then it won't line up properly with the top of the windscreen.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 14.19.08.jpg

Then look at the front.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 14.08.04.jpg

Across the top of the windscreen there's a rubber ridge. Look where the front edge of the hardtop is directly up against that ridge. Not overlapping it and no gap behind it. The leading edge of the hardtop sits real snug up against that rubber lip. Difficult to see in the picture but the top surface of the rubber ridge is pretty much inline with the top surface of the hardtop. The edge of the hardtop is hardly above that rubber ridge so no wind noise either.

But the key is that vertical line at the 'B' pillar. Get that right and fore/aft alignment at the front should work.

Last edited:

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I paid £200 for mine already in Dakar yellow ( which is a difficult colour to find any second hand colour coded bits
Stephen.

Chris_st2

In this picture look at the vertical line of the hardtop and the leading edge of the rear wing. This needs to be perfectly in line. If the roof is just a few mm too far forward or too far back then it won't line up properly with the top of the windscreen.

View attachment 247515

Then look at the front.

View attachment 247513

Across the top of the windscreen there's a rubber ridge. Look where the front edge of the hardtop is directly up against that ridge. Not overlapping it and no gap behind it. The leading edge of the hardtop sits real snug up against that rubber lip. Difficult to see in the picture but the top surface of the rubber ridge is pretty much inline with the top surface of the hardtop. The edge of the hardtop is hardly above that rubber ridge so no wind noise either.

But the key is that vertical line at the 'B' pillar. Get that right and fore/aft alignment at the front should work.
My passenger side sits absolutely flush and we’ve taken it on and off a few times to see what’s happening but it’s almost as if the part to screw it in is missing something doesn’t let you secure it all the way as that side doesn’t let air in and it’s easy to do up but drivers side didn’t let you do it up and let’s air in

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
There are many idiots and time wasters on F B Marketplace, more so than eBay in my experience.

Tony.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
My passenger side sits absolutely flush and we’ve taken it on and off a few times to see what’s happening but it’s almost as if the part to screw it in is missing something doesn’t let you secure it all the way as that side doesn’t let air in and it’s easy to do up but drivers side didn’t let you do it up and let’s air in
Sitting in the car looking up at the corner there's three little screws. Loosen those just a bit and that'll relax the thread/bracket. While those 3 screws are loose tighten up the main torx bolt again - does it go further now? If it does you can now tighten up those 3 little screws

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
I'm sure that there is also some height adjustment at the rear fixings. You'll need a very slim M24 spanner.

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
When I had the hardtop fitted on my previous 2.8 I noticed it didn't seem to fit level on the rear - turned out one of the rubber bump stops was missing. There should be 2 one on each corner so I ordered a replacement from Sytner wgich sorted the fitment issue - so might be worth checking you have both :thumbsup:

Chris_st2

When I had the hardtop fitted on my previous 2.8 I noticed it didn't seem to fit level on the rear - turned out one of the rubber bump stops was missing. There should be 2 one on each corner so I ordered a replacement from Sytner wgich sorted the fitment issue - so might be worth checking you have both :thumbsup:
What rubber stops sorry I’m new to these cars so learning as I go

Chris_st2

I'm sure that there is also some height adjustment at the rear fixings. You'll need a very slim M24 spanner.
Sitting in the car looking up at the corner there's three little screws. Loosen those just a bit and that'll relax the thread/bracket. While those 3 screws are loose tighten up the main torx bolt again - does it go further now? If it does you can now tighten up those 3 little screws
I haven’t seen the car in a month 😂 currently away in storage but will take a look next time I see it

Dxbolton

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 auto
Where the rear pin locates, that can also be adjusted for height. I moved my hardtop and fixing brackets between my cars and the fit was completely different. One car was perfect but the second one was pulling the roof right down onto the bodywork. Took about half an hour to adjust the rear clamp, and similar playing I g with the front locating bracket. Stick with it and persevere 😀😀