Hardtop adjustment HELP

T-Z3

So got a hardtop for my z3 :) have done the first fit which went okay but think I need to adjust it as I can hear air rushing in over the windshield when I get about 40 has anybody got any guidance on how to tighten it up?

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Cure wind noise along the front edge of roof above windscreen.

Stand beside the car and look at the gap between the back wing and the door.

Look at my avatar picture.

The vertical edge of the roof pillar should be perfectly in line with the front edge of the back wing. Too far back or too far forward and the front edge of the roof won't be correct. This is mentioned in BMW's fitting instructions but I can't over emphasise how important this is.

If the roof pillar lines up correctly then, look at the front edge of the roof. It should be level with the top of the windscreen. See my picture below. If the roof sticks up even tbough it's tight then it's likely that the front brackets aren't lined up properly. Leaving the back fastened down, loosen the 2 torqs screws just a couple of turns and loosen the 3 screws on each side where the roof meets the top of the windscreen. Tighten the two torqs just a little. This should allow the front brackets to turn slightly if necessary to line up the guides. Then tighten the 3 screws each side. Then fully tighten the 2 torqs and it should sit like picture below.

The front of the roof should not be sticking up above the rubbers along the top of the windscreen.

Look at it side on. Think airflow. Should be no gaps and no sticky-up bits.

Sorry not a good picture but it should look like this. I have no wind noise anywhere.

Screenshot_20211013-103423_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
I have the fitment/adjustment book from BMW happy to copy and add on here

T-Z3

The vertical edge of the roof pillar should be perfectly in line with the front edge of the back wing. Too far back or too far forward and the front edge of the roof won't be correct.

If the roof pillar lines up correctly then, look at the front edge of the roof. It should be level with the top of the windscreen. See my picture below. If the roof sticks up even tbough it's tight then it's likely that the front brackets aren't lined up properly. Leaving the back fastened down, loosen the 2 torqs screws just a couple of turns and loosen the 3 screws on each side where the roof meets the top of the windscreen. Tighten the two torqs just a little. This should allow the front brackets to turn slightly if necessary to line up the guides. Then tighten the 3 screws each side. Then fully tighten the 2 torqs and it should sit like picture below.

The front of the roof should not be sticking up above the rubbers along the top of the windscreen.

Sorry not a good picture but it should look like this. I have no wind noise anywhere.

View attachment 202235
Hero thank you

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Z3 HT Fitting Adjusting

Attachments

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)

The vertical edge of the roof pillar should be perfectly in line with the front edge of the back wing. Too far back or too far forward and the front edge of the roof won't be correct.

View attachment 202235
Theres also vertical adjustment on the rear pins/locks. The gap between the car and the roof bottom edge needs to be correct

demig

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Roadster
Theres also vertical adjustment on the rear pins/locks. The gap between the car and the roof bottom edge needs to be correct
That's the tricky bit I've found, get it wrong and it leaks or removes your paint when it rubs! I really wish the plastic guides were still available to do this. If anyone has a set some dimensions would be useful as a 3D model for printing could be made.