Wanted hard-top mounting brackets

lalinsorinoco

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 Orinoco
Looking for the mounting position mechanism (brackets) for my Z3. Planning to buy a hard top but there are no mount position bracket thingys that go just behind the seats.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
They are still available BMW (i asked when I was looking for some)

But, are you sitting down?, £275 quid. Still sitting? That's 275 per side.

Keep your eyes open they do appear on ebay. But not cheap. The BMW price gives you an idea of what they cost new.

lalinsorinoco

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 Orinoco
They are still available BMW (i asked when I was looking for some)

But, are you sitting down?, £275 quid. Still sitting? That's 275 per side.

Keep your eyes open they do appear on ebay. But not cheap. The BMW price gives you an idea of what they cost new.
blimey!! so expensive?? but why?? thanks mate, yes I had to sit down and throw water over my face to recover!

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Set 2nd hand 2,brackets 6 bolts and 2 plastic cover often in excess of £400 second hand..

And another 400-500 for the hardtop.
Stephen.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Set 2nd hand 2,brackets 6 bolts and 2 plastic cover often in excess of £400 second hand..

And another 400-500 for the hardtop.
Stephen.
Oh. I forgot to say. The 275 quid (per side) from the BMW dealer is just for the brackets. It's not the full kit. So not the covers or the bolts or the heated rear screen switch. Just the brackets. All that is still available from BMW but you won't get much change from 'another' 200 quid.

So, as Stephen said, for a used one you'll be looking at parting with 800+ for the roof+kit but at that price it might have a few chips in the fibreglass and sagging liner so not perfect. And it'll most likely be the wrong color too.

But don't let me put you off. Z3 with hardtop is (at least in my opinion) the dog's doodahs.

My zed doesn't have a liner in the softtop. Noise. Fine round windy roads when you're up and down the gears. But I seriously could not do a long motorway journey with the softtop. But with the hardtop on it's like a normal boring car. I can tank it up the motorway at 80 (69.9 m'lud) listening to the radio on a normal volume or talk to the passenger (if she's talking to me)

Last edited:

lalinsorinoco

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 Orinoco
Oh. I forgot to say. The 275 quid (per side) from the BMW dealer is just for the brackets. It's not the full kit. So not the covers or the bolts or the heated rear screen switch. Just the brackets. All that is still available from BMW but you won't get much change from 'another' 200 quid.

So, as Stephen said, for a used one you'll be looking at parting with 800+ for the roof+kit but at that price it might have a few chips in the fibreglass and sagging liner so not perfect. And it'll most likely be the wrong color too.

But don't let me put you off. Z3 with hardtop is (at least in my opinion) the dog's doodahs.

My zed doesn't have a liner in the softtop. Noise. Fine round windy roads when you're up and down the gears. But I seriously could not do a long motorway journey with the softtop. But with the hardtop on it's like a normal boring car. I can tank it up the motorway at 80 (69.9 m'lud) listening to the radio on a normal volume or talk to the passenger (if she's talking to me)
Thanks for this mate! yeah, an awful lot of money for a hard top.. Im now not sure if i wanna spend all that dosh on a hard top. It was much cheaper when I had my MX5.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Z3 hardtops are like the proverbial rocking horse poo. Supply and demand dictates the price.

I got mine for £800 with fitting kit. Catch covers are missing. Had a couple chips round the back edge which I fixed myself. Also the paint. Cloth liner sagged a little in the usual places but easy to peel back and restick.

My roof paint doesn't quite match but looking at a full respray/color change next year anyway

car.png

Last edited:

lalinsorinoco

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 Orinoco
Z3 hardtops are like the proverbial rocking horse poo. Supply and demand dictates the price.

I got mine for £800 with fitting kit. Catch covers are missing. Had a couple chips round the back edge which I fixed myself. Also the paint. Cloth liner sagged a little in the usual places but easy to peel back and restick.

My roof paint doesn't quite match but looking at a full respray/color change next year anyway

View attachment 201385

View attachment 201401
looks nice with the HT on! is that a green version or the Orinoco Individual?

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Have a look on German Ebay or Netherlands Ebay. I picked up a Weissman hardtop fitting kit for around £170 last year. I can't recall the exact price but it was in this region.