Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Drives for the Z3

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Loz3, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Loz3

Loz3 Regular Member

Part of my reason for buying the Z3 was to complete a bucket list entry. Drive the Stelvio Pass in a sports car.

I wondered if anyone had done it and had any thoughts/advice to share? Mine is a lowly 1.9 which I will have serviced (ahead of schedule) prior to the trip, but I wondered if there was anything I should watch out for.

Route advice also welcome. I hope to make it this summer but even if I have to wait for better weather in 2014, I think it will be worth the trip! 3-4days, budget hotels. Great food. return via Riems and Epernay to collect a little celebratory juice and home.

Are the seats up to touring mileages?

[​IMG]

2. billz

billz Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0si
    We did the Stelvio last year and 3 zeds are going in just over 6 weeks time. We came up from Spain but this year we are leaving Friday the 9th Aug staying at Reims then staying 1 night at Mullhouse to visit the Motor Museum then we are going along the Sustenpasse staying at Oberwald then through the Furkapasse onto Lake Como where we stay for 4 nights and will be taking in the Stelvio, Julierpasse and a few others on day trips.
    Doing it in 3 to 4 days will be asking a lot as it will take 2 days to get there and to be honest once you have driven around the Alps you will feel you have missed out because of haveing to drive past everything the Alps have to offer. But i would suggest going down the stelvio to Bormio and then come back through the Julierpasse
    This is a link to the thread

http://zroadster.org/forum/threads/euro-trip-finalized.2971/

3. Mr-P

Mr-P Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    Sold Z3M
    Its on my list of to dos

4. Loz3

Loz3 Regular Member

Thanks for that!

I'll allow 7 days minimum and take time to enjoy the route. My Folks are heading down to Como so I could meet them there for a day or two to recover. Then hit the Stelvio and Juliepasse before heading back to Epernay for a glass of bubbly.

:drinks:

5. billz

billz Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0si
    Depending where their staying as it is a trek from como to the stelvio. We stayed at Colico last year and that is over an hour away.Have a look at our trip Sunday and Monday and cut out going to Oberwald you might even have time to do the Julierpasse well worth it. There is a nice little cafe at the top where you can sit out have a cuppa and see down the pass can even stroke the cows :) If you have tomtom or garmin i can send you itn files of the routes then you could change them accordingly

6. MAURICE THE MARTIAN

MAURICE THE MARTIAN Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0SE AUTO
    Wot about stroking the sheep.
    Baaaaa:p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

7. TR4man

TR4man Zorg Addict
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 Coupe
    The Stelvio is on my bucket list too (it probably is on most petrolheads ;)), but I was interested to read that you were to return via Reims.

I was there last month on the way to the Spa Francorchamps Classic. Reims is a very atmospheric place, you'll love it.

Here is a couple of photos (I was not in my Zed :cool: for this trip)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great time.

Regards

Peter

• Like Like x 1