Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Linkage

Discussion in 'Performance' started by PeterJ, Aug 9, 2012.

1. PeterJ

PeterJ Zorg Legend
    Hong Kong Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 Roadster M52B28
    Hi Again!, on my Z3 2.8, After ripping out the auto gearbox & putting in the manual (from a 528), the gear linkage was said to be from a 2.8 Z3, but its about 3 or 4 inches too long (please see the attached drawing - the two items circled in red)...my 2.8 is obviuosly a 6 clylinder, so I think the longer gear linkage I have is either from a 528 (same as the gearbox) or perhaps from a 4 cylinder Z3?...anyone know if these gear linkages are the same on 4 & 6 cylinder Z3's?
    I am searching for the gear linkage circuled that will fit my (now) manual transmission 6 cylinder 2.8 & if anyone has one, please let me know! :D

Attached Files:

2. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    Have you tried sticking the part numbers in Realoem or BMWFANS to see what other cars they were used on then you can do a bit of cross referencing to see what part you actualy have and what you need.

Sounds like a very interesting project by the way for which I have seen plenty of people ask if it can be done over the years so if you get time once you have completed the conversion we would be grateful if you could do some kind of writeup that can be imortilised in our Wiki pages. :)

3. PeterJ

PeterJ Zorg Legend
    Hong Kong Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 Roadster M52B28
    thanks Aceman...we are working on that, but up to now, it seems these parts are especially short for the Z3, which I guess is not suprizing...for the write up, perhaps after all is done!

4. Ragerover

Ragerover Regular Member

I you can find the correct legnth. Just cut and weld yours. That's all a short shift is
    Or the way you put a 6 speed in