#ZedShed GazHyde - 2001 2.2i Sport Topasblau-metallic - 'Rosie'

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
First of all, a blue car called 'Rosie'...? The registration plate starts RO51, and it just clicked in my head!
  • Built March 2001, currently 94,000 miles
  • 2.2i Sport in Topaz Blue with Blue/Black interior
  • Air Con, Style 78 Alloys, Radio Cassette with Multi Changer in boot, Harmon Kardon system.
As I bought her a thoroughly neglected car. That said she was priced below other 2.2 Sports, and some non-Sport models too.
  • Alloys corroded (one really bad)
  • Swirl marks on every panel
  • Stone chips which show up way too obviously on blue
  • Faded leather seats (not worn through)
Found a few issues on the test drive, but all sorted by the dealer without quibble. She drove really well, pulled strongly, cornered well and generally felt mechanically sound.
This is how she looked when I got her, in completely standard guise. The pictures are kind and don't really show up the worst bits.
2013-07-09 12.44.53.jpg

2013-07-09 12.45.14.jpg

2013-07-09 12.45.36.jpg

2013-07-09 10.53.35.jpg
2013-07-09 10.53.43.jpg
2013-07-09 12.44.28.jpg

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
So, having got her home today...

1. I had planned with running the Style 78's on the car, but having got them home and looked at them again I can't drive on them in that state. So I have fitted my Breyton 18" alloys as a temporary measure, as I really want to use the 78's.
2013-07-11 20.39.28.jpg

2013-07-11 20.40.27.jpg

2. Stubby Aerial. Will be needing to fit a new grommet as well when I have chance to order one.
2013-07-11 14.22.15.jpg

3. My Sony MEX BT3800U Head Unit. Makes the most of the Harmon Kardon system, unlike the old BMW Business Radio which was crap!
bmw_z3_radio_16.jpg

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
You do know everyone's going to call you jim now :D

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
She looks a great car Gary. Looks pretty shiny from the photos, I'm sure you'll both be happy together.;)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Just completed my first thousand miles since picking her up, and only 6 of those miles with the roof up :D

I find that the Sport seats are really comfortable and I get little discomfort sitting in them for long journeys. Finally a comfortable Z3!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
GazHyde Lovely shot of Rosi at Silverstone

Get the 78s on though ;)
Oooh, that is nice. :woot:

As soon as I have finished the contract I'm on, they will go in for a full refurb. Gives me some time to think what finish to have on them. I'm loving the contrast of the darker wheels against the blue paint, but then I will have two similar colour sets...

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Oooh, that is nice. :woot:

As soon as I have finished the contract I'm on, they will go in for a full refurb. Gives me some time to think what finish to have on them. I'm loving the contrast of the darker wheels against the blue paint, but then I will have two similar colour sets...
I agree, the darker wheels suit the car, how about shadow chrome?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I think the place I use do shadow chrome, so will have to see how much it costs.

Forgot to mention I had both lower control arm bushes replaced today, which has cured the steering vibration at motorway speeds. Both completely shot to bits, which makes a mockery of the MOT she had 6 weeks before I bought her. Ho hum!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Rosie needs an oil top up. Opie Oils product finder - which is a really useful tool - suggests 5W-30 Fully Synthetic will do the job.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-f.../2001/z3/PETROL/z3/3700/product-finder-2.aspx

Will certainly do until I get chance to book her in for a service...

EDIT: Ended up with Castrol Edge 5W-40 as this was the only fully synthetic which was approved by BMW. The 5W-30s seemed to be for Vauxhall and Fords :confused:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Finally got off my backside to look at removing the multichanger from the boot and free up some space. The plan was to switch the carpet with my other Z3 to fully remove the 'hump'.

Having stripped the carpet out to remove the unit, I found that there is an Alpine amp (Harmon Kardon upgrade?) which obviously I can't remove! Still got more space in the boot for carrying 'stuff' around though!

2013-09-01 16.10.54.jpg

2013-09-01 16.18.56.jpg

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
@GazHyde is that strap for the first aid kit OEM?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
@GazHyde is that strap for the first aid kit OEM?
I'm can only guess so. The two holes in the carpet are cut nice and cleanly, so doubt it's something someone did afterwards.