GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi all,

This is to give a bit of advance notice that the forum will soon be upgrade to Xenforo 1.2. I need to schedule the time in to carry out the upgrade, and expect it to be in about a week or so, but will let you know when the site will be offline.

On the whole you will notice very little difference to how you will use the site, but there are some changes you may notice straight away. There are however some very nice extras which will make the site even better to use!

Here are some of the highlights
  • A new editor. This is the set of tools which allows you to edit and format your text. Out goes the current system (TinyMCE) and in comes a different system (Redactor). The new Redactor bar works correctly on all browsers including the iPad!
Text formatting toolbar - this is probably the biggest visual change. Screen shot below.​
redactor.png
  • Fully Responsive Design. For those of you who use a web browser on your mobile phone, this is great news. No more having to pinch and scroll to see the site, it will automatically display the site scaled correctly for the size of screen you are using!
  • Adding images. To make picture uploading considerably easier, you can now "drag and drop" images from your computer in to the editor box. You can also use Ctrl+V to paste an image you have in your clipboard. It really can't get any easier to add images!
  • Auto Save Drafts. While you are typing a message, every X seconds (currently 60), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. This draft is held on the server, so you should never lose a post you are typing (even if your computer breaks during the post!)
  • Conversation System Changes. Various small updates here, including the ability to clear out multiple conversations in one.
  • New Post Alert. The system will live update the thread if someone replies as you are reading or typing a reply on a thread.
  • Even better SPAM prevention. We don't suffer much with SPAM, not sure if you would even be able to tell me when the last SPAM post was (kitchen cabinets 2 months ago!).
  • User Thread Title editing. You will be able to edit the title of your own threads.
  • Password storage in the database. Now uses and even more secure method, protecting your account and also the integrity of the forum.
Will keep you all updated!

Gary

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Some sneaky peeks from the Development site which is now running version 1.2.0. Will post more as I progress with testing ;)
  • "Responsive" design. Site will scale to match your screen resolution. This is specifically for mobile devices with small screens, and will save you having to "pinch & drag" to see what is going on!
responsivedesign.png

• New "redactor" editor tools. These work on all devices including iPads, which was a particular issue previously.
redactortoolbar.png
  • Notable Members...
noteablemembers.png

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Looking forward to this Gary :) , posting from the iPad can be a PITA at times.