Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign breakdown cover

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by 911SC, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 911SC

911SC Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    Z3M Roadster S54
    Just back from a long weekend touring North Wales and attending a wedding on the Llyn Peninsular. Drove almost 500 miles in 3 days including top to bottom (of Wales) yesterday. Car went brilliantly - the only scare came in Caernarfonshire where three consecutive garages told me they had no 97 Ron fuel!

Couple of pictures

image.jpg

It was raining on the way!

image.jpg

But was very sunny when we got half way up!

Quick question - I'm taking the M to Classic Le Mans in a few weeks time. I have every confidence in her but wouldn't mind some breakdown insurance in case. I can get it easily for my 911SC at a cheap price through the classic insurance policy I have . The M is insured via Admiral and they don't offer cover for cars over 10 years old. Has anyone found a cheap standalone policy and if so - where??

Sent from my iPad

• Like Like x 1
  2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    No idea on the insurance, but lovely pictures :)

3. Rev

Rev Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter

I was once told by a chap that's living was made testing fuel that you're better off buying 95. He said that the 97 sits in the tank at the petrol station much longer than the 95 and when it finally hits you're tank has a lesser octane than the 95 due to deterioration.

He then said that the fuel that it's better to buy is from busy stations rather than quiet ones.

He also added that all of the fuel comes from the same refineries and so whether you buy BP, Shell or Supermarket fuel makes no difference.

I found this a bit more difficult to swallow, but checked it out. It seems there are only seven refineries in the whole of the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#United_Kingdom

I suspect he was telling the truth all the way through as he'd no reason to do otherwise.

All a bit disappointing really.

Nice pic's by the way! Hope you enjoyed the trip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Titan

Titan Moderator
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    sDrive35i
    I used the AA last time we went to France.
    IIRC it was £75 for 2 weeks but we returned a few days before the Zed's 10th birthday.
    The premium would have been £150 had the car been 10 years old.

5. Mint

Mint Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    1st Z3 | 2.2 | Sport | Individual 2nd - Z3 | 3.0 | Sport
    I've just been through the same process for our trip to Andorra in a couple of weeks. I'm with Churchill and while I was extending my fully comp cover I was asked about breakdown cover. They offered full European cover till the end of the policy which is Sept. for £24.38. They've got a half price offer on, so v.pleased.:)

• Like Like x 4