Footwell speaker

Peter1450

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Whilst sorting the swimming pool that is the passenger side of the wifes Z , replacing the lateral acelerator sensor ,sealing the door foams I’ve come across another issue!
The speaker in the passenger footwell seems to click on and off ( almost sounds like a relay latching) , looking at previous threads it seems it has an amp built in, can I upgrade/ replace with a newer set as they are 23 years old or will I need a like for like replacement? Cheers in advance

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
you can replace with whatever 4ohm speaker fits in there and also attach the useless amplifier. Or get rid of it If you have an after market stereo.
If you decide to keep the amp, just glue or use 3M double sided tape to attach it to the new speaker.
while you are at it, better change both speakers with coaxial ones, it will make some but not much difference.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
The speaker in the passenger footwell seems to click on and off ( almost sounds like a relay latching)
There is a main power relay on the AMP board. They do loose their "sticky" and start opening and closing on there own accord, due to the close proximity of the speaker magnet. I've replaced then in the past and the AMP has continued to function normally. Not a big job.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Yes. It's the blue rectangular box. Get the type details off it and you can buy them.

Bigfella70

Model of Z
Following with interest as I’ve noticed my footwell speakers or at least the drivers side is working very intermittently. Plan to remove the covers and assembly and see whether dodgy connections are the issue.

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
I have both footwell speakers (one with amp) 99 car, in good condition, that I was thinking to pop on eBay. Pm me if you want them. Not sure what they’re worth but say £20 plus p&p for the pair.

Also have coupe standard rear roof speakers if anyone wants them?

I bypassed the amp and replaced with kenwood components in front and 2 ways in the back when I replaced the head unit.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Find pin 5 on the amp connector. Trace that track to the blue relay that needs to be replaced.

Sorry it's been 8 years since I did the last one, so can't tell you by looking at the photo. Memory fade.

graeme cook

Hey, cannot tell on my speaker wire which is positive or neg as they are both completely grey . :confused: