Fixing little chips in paintwork

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
As in the title - is there any company you would recommend to buy a kit from to fix the odd little chip? Obviously Chipex but wondered if anyone else had used any kits they would recommend?

Cheers

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
The Chipex kits are good if you take your time with it. You can buy just the paint on eBay too if you know what colour code you need

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
This guide might be handy if your feeling adventurous https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/threads/stone-chip-repair-guide.20127/

I can second the paint from chipex but use some of the techniques in the thread above as well as just using the chipex system. I have a kit from Halfords as well and the paint was a good match in cosmos black. You have to experiment to get the right result, there’s lot of vids on YouTube as well.

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
This guide might be handy if your feeling adventurous https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/threads/stone-chip-repair-guide.20127/

I can second the paint from chipex but use some of the techniques in the thread above as well as just using the chipex system. I have a kit from Halfords as well and the paint was a good match in cosmos black. You have to experiment to get the right result, there’s lot of vids on YouTube as well.
Thanks luckily I have a few panels to practice on first :)

John_B

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
Sorry, a bit late to the thread, but I just used the Chipex kit this weekend and was reasonably impressed. The bumper in particularly has come up really well. Before it looked like I'd been following the truck painting the white lines too closely, now from more than a few feet away the majority of the chips are gone.

The bonnet on the other hands still looks a bit rough. I'm not sure how much of that is in the eye of the overly-critical owner who still see them, but the chips in the bonnet seem to be larger and deeper than the bumper, so the kit has just painted the bottom of the chip, rather than filled them in. I mentioned in my progress thread that I will probably go over them again (and again) and see if I can build the paint up over time.

IMG_2210.JPG

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
I used halfords touch up paint on the z4 and it was horrendous and looks crap. Colour match was poor and stands out more than it did before. Have the chipex for the Z3 but John_B that looks good!

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
My Chipex paint arrived, cleaned the car, opened it up and it was purple! Put a tiny bit on the car to send a pic to Chipex but if they offer a 100% colour guarantee and sterling grey is the new purple I am going to need a lot of little bottles! :) Has the right paint code on the bottle and shook it to make sure pigment had not separated.

Attachments

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
Had a go at this little scratch yesterday
IMG_1799.jpeg

Masked the area then a very gentle sanding with 3M 2000 grit wet and dry to take the edges off the scratch. Cleaned everything with the blending solution from my chipex kit.
Paint (which I bought from eBay) dabbed into the scratch using the corner of a business card..loads easier than a brush
IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

Let it dry for a couple hours then another very very light sanding using the chipex blending solution as a lubricant for the wet and dry
Quick once over with some abrasive compound then some polish
IMG_1821.jpeg

it’s not disappeared completely but with a bit of practice I think I could get it better..got a whole bonnet of stone chips to practice on 😁
IMG_1818.jpeg

Last edited:

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
@AntStark that looks very good IMO.
I have two horrendous round chips right in the middle of the bonnet of my Melbourne Red F31. They have been there for a while as the bonnet has rust showing on the bare metal.
I have been contemplating how to tackle them but not sure if they are too big for a 'touch up' type approach.
From experience, If I do them 'properly' the area needed to be tackled seems to get larger and larger until I need a full bonnet respray! :whistle:

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
Yes did that on the Z4 very fine sandpaper and then suddenly I was through the lacquer. As such the bonnet is being sprayed along with the front wing that had a scratch and the same thing happened. Hence the car is going into the bodyshop this Friday. That was using Halfords paint which was a crap match. Not bad £20 for the kit turned into a £600 spray job - wish I had left the chips & scratch lol
Found the lacquer on the Z4 a lot thinner than on the Z3. The Subaru I have was fine and the missus merc was fine using the same method. Lesson learnt sell the car when its done!

TJS

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z1
instead of using abrasive wet and dry paper to smooth out the paint I use Langka solution. Small chips are filled with the BMW touch up paint ( dream black metallic) applied with a cocktail stick. Let the first coat dry then apply a second coat of 50/50 colour and clear lacquer and leave for a couple of days before smoothing out the paint blob with Lanka applied with a cloth wrapped around a flat surface like a credit card. If you make a mistake and take off too much new paint no harm done, unlike abrasives.