Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Impressions of my Zed 3 Litre

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by zedzen, Mar 27, 2012.

1. zedzen

zedzen Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    Well,

I finally managed to get my car out of the garage having not seen it in a month. Naturally the battery was flat and needed a boost making me feel guilty I hadn't had time to see to her 'needs'!

To raise a head shake from you all, I couldn't (or knew how to) get the roof down BUT lucklilyI was en route to a BMW garage for a scratch repair quote and looked really knowledgable asking the chappie how it worked! Ok, give me a break, motorbikes don't have roofs :). Getting the tonneu cover on was also, um, interesting!

Overall impression? What a car. I've read the straight 6 is an all time 'great' engine and I cannot argue! I am looking forward to the whole car loosening up a bit over the next few 1000 miles as it is still factory tight. Handling for a soft top was an eye opener too when compared to a Saab soft top I hired last summer in America; it currently has Nexen tyres which I have no idea are good or bad.

All fluid change service booked at Bensten on Thursday just in time for the weekend rain, therefore, hibernation in the garage is calling again :(

To sum, top piece of kit. Very happy.

Rob

2. Snoops

Snoops Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    Don't worry about it Rob, unless you know how to I don't think it's obvious that you have to put your foot on the brake before you press the button (I'm assuming it's electric??) So now you know, no excuses for driving with it up :D

Again, I think it took me about 20 minutes of faffing around the 1st time (even with the instructions on the underside, you can't see them once you've put it in place !!! You'll get quicker with practice and if it's a glorious day and you're going for a long drive you can't beat the "finished look" you get with it on. A quick nip down the road I don't put it on -- too much faffing :D
    Excellent news ...... I see you've ordered your cover, you've beat me to it, post a piccy when you get it.. :D

3. zedzen

zedzen Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    Wilco on the piccie front!

4. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Glad you finally gave her the time she rightly deserved.

This may help with the tonneau fitting!

5. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    See the youtube video below for installing the tonneau cover, but I'm warning you to turn the sound off first as the music is shocking @-)

Edit - Damn, Gaz beat me too it :( and that was my first youtube video post. But at least I know how to post videos now :D

6. brilie

brilie Zorg Guru (III)

Model of Z:
    2.8 roadster
    Hi,can I say I have never had an issue with the tonneau,
    although i have never used the two clips behind the seats,
    two clips on the outer edge,push it down,on in a minute!!!
    never lost it yet even at speeds up to 70mph!!!!!! ;)

Brian

7. zedzen

zedzen Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    Good idea Brian. It was about to be re-ebayed!!!

8. Warrior

Warrior Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    3.0i sports automatic
    My tonneau hasn't got the studs behind the seats. Ripped off before I got her...

Fitting is best with a second pair of hands to push/pull a few mm to get the front top studs lines up.