Few Small Mods for Old Zeddy

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Hi Everyone

Been making some slight changes to old zeddy over the last week.

Firstly, The dreaded mirror bases were in an awful state, so he was booked in last week to the bodyshop for them sorting out. When i went to pick him up, even from across the garage forecourt i could see a vast improvement. Its amazing the difference it has made to his whole appearance and extremely pleased with the cost of having them done too.

Also, while he was there, some of you will know i bought some ‘black chrome’ nose grills last year. For after market grills, they are a very good fit, but the colour was slightly off being black. So after the 3rd replacements I still only had a very slightly brownish fairly black set. So, i had them sprayed the same colour whilst they had the correct colour mix for the mirror bases, now they are both BLACK. I am very pleased with the results of both jobs done.

Next job, i bought some smoked rear lights from a forum member in excellent condition – Thank You Z3cade - , and fit those yesterday, only took 10 mins to swap them over. It took me longer to find the socket set which i didn’t need in the end. All i needed was the small spanner from the tool kit in the boot. Some of the tools were missing when i bought the car, but I managed to find the missing ones from a breaker last year. Thanks a lot to the wiki ‘’How To’’ on the main page of this forum, made the job dead easy. Just need to do something with the colour of the third brake light somehow.

Next job, from a recommendation from another forum member r37 on which was best to use, i bought some pre-cut 6% Lamin-x front headlight and fog light tint from the states, which only took a week for delivery too. I didn’t want anything too dark as i have halo’s and clear corners fitted and obviously needed to be still road legal, but just wanted to tone down that stark white at the front end. I was going to buy some projector headlights but thought i would give this a try first at a fraction of the cost. Again, i am very pleased with the result, hope they last well, time will tell.
I made sure the lights were very clean, and placed the tint on top of the lense, shaping it across and trying to get a feel of what would happen, watched the video twice :eek:), sprayed a mild soap solultion on the lense, sprayed a little on the tint film and very carefully using the tab holders, peeled off the backing and offered the tint to the lense. It was reasonably easy to do, i was a bit slow as i didn’t want to crease the film or get finger prints on it with me not having done anything like this before. There is a good guide and scraper to remove excess moister after fitting which came with the tints. Again very pleased with the result.
Just need to cut off the tabs tomorrow if some of you eagle eyed peeps see that they are still on :D

Tonight, a happy bunny indeed :ymhug: and again, many thanks to members who have helped me with this little project. (it has taken longer to write this and sort photos than it did to do the work ;) )

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Looking good Gill
You are a clever girl
:ymapplause: :D

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Looking really nice. Love what you have done. I'm debating the tinting on the headlights too. I have chrome grills and door handles which would stay along with the white markers and indicators for mine but want to tone down the headlights a bit.

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Thanks for your comments-

Yes i toned down the bumper markers and side repeaters to smoked ones early last year - I love the dark look.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Looks great Gill and totally changed the look of old Zeddy. It's surprising what little changes can make to the car.

Have you finished for now or have you more little parcels on their way from the USA?? otherwise I'll drive straight past you next time :D

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Gilll

What did the paint shop charge for the mirrors
I assume they did the full monty and removed them

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Snoops, Might have, but inside this time ;)

Boysie, £60 stripped bases completely and started again, plus 2 sets of nose grills sprayed - an old friend of hubby's

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
SeaSurfer said:

Yes i toned down the bumper markers and side repeaters to smoked ones early last year - I love the dark look.
I love the look but just worry about the amount of light that's lost coming from them when they illuminate. I never like seeing the novas etc with the smoked lenses when they put the indicators on and got hardly any light out of them.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
brill....! B-)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
We shall have to call you "StealthSurfer" from now on. Cracking work :-bd

I was watching 'Police Interceptors' on the TV the other night, and they stopped a silver Mondeo for having blacked out rear lights. It turned out he had stretched tights over the rear lamp units.

r37

Dedicated Member
board said:
SeaSurfer said:

I love the look but just worry about the amount of light that's lost coming from them when they illuminate. I never like seeing the novas etc with the smoked lenses when they put the indicators on and got hardly any light out of them.

i have the same 6% film on my zed. It is noticable at night but not enough to be dangerous, it just take out the reflections from the headlights nicely and smartens up the front of a black Z. Any more than 6% i'd worry about before fitting. I still maintain the horribly yellowed and rough plastics you see on car headlights are far more dangerous than a tint yet are completely legal whereas any tint is technically illegal.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
r37 said:
board said:
SeaSurfer said:

i have the same 6% film on my zed. It is noticable at night but not enough to be dangerous, it just take out the reflections from the headlights nicely and smartens up the front of a black Z. Any more than 6% i'd worry about before fitting. I still maintain the horribly yellowed and rough plastics you see on car headlights are far more dangerous than a tint yet are completely legal whereas any tint is technically illegal.
I was more thinking the side markers and Indicators, getting a small yellow glow from the side repeaters rather than the normal brightness. I guess I need to see some in the flesh to see what they are like.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Ahh well done Gill ;)

Zeddy looks great! The rear lights look amazing on your black zed B-)
Glad they went to a good home..
I too like the dark look ;;) but then I'm biased..

:D

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Thanks everyone for all your nice and encouraging comments, it is nice to re read them too, Thank you.

However, i am really sorry to r37 and Daz3, i mixed them up - Daz and Dan, Dan & Daz :ymblushing: :ymblushing: apologies to both of you :-* :-*

I was going to buy the 12% but after chatting with r37, he had fitted 6% tints and assured me it was enough of a tint and his zed looks great with them on so i bought the same ones. 12% i am sure now, would have nearly blacked out the headlights and been too much, not the final look i was going for. So, thanks again everyone, Stealthsurfer made me laugh.

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Am correct you have dimmed your lights with a tint film
I want to put brighter bulbs in the headlights
, as i feel the lights are not that good /:)

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Hi Boysie

When we cooked my headlights and added ccfl halo's and detangoed him, i upgraded the bulbs at the same time. The difference was quite alot, in comparrison the original bulb which was like a damn candle, not that i drive at night much at all, but when i do, i can see the road much clearer instead of the yellowy light they used to give.

I will have a look later at the thread i did 12 months ago and see if i put which bulbs i used. I know i asked a few people at the time for advice on legalities of brightness. I think it will be going on the wiki page soonish.

Here is a photo mid way from changing the bulbs over, infact i think i may have some osram bulbs spare, i will have a look tomorrow and see what they are if they are any use to you that if i can find them after the move, hubby opened the packet and they were white not blue so couldnt return them because of the packaging

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
Wow Gill, Zeddy is looking great :coolsteer) some tasteful mods and really makes him look mean and moody with the black grills and tinted lights, well done.

Well you can't part with him now can you \:D/

Tim.