Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fencing, concrete posts and trees

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by Brian4, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    Just mending the fence after 4 panels blew out yesterday and when I put the fence up it was easy dig hole, post in, panel in place and push next post against the panel and concrete in.
    Now posts are fixed in place and the garden has grown over the panels and I've got to lift the repaired panels up and down into the slots what a nightmare. Got to prune the trees and bushes. Still another job for the weekend as long as the wind/rain keeps off.
    Dog thinks it's great fun chasing into next door.

Shouldn't moan too much we are not flooded like those poor people along the rivers.

2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    I've got three fence panels down in my garden. Spoke to the letting agent who said not to expect them to be repaired any time soon. They have a backlog of weather related damage, and said they won't put fences back up till the weather clears.

Oh, and with the horizontal rain I'm getting water coming though the boiler flue so have to keep plastic pots on the work top to catch the drips.

All small stuff luckily, but I do feel really sorry for those who are having a bad time right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    My local timber merchant was busy making fence panels today when I called in.

4. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    Problem with that Brian, is fresh panels are still "green" and as they dry out in the summer they shrink and crack etc. Also the knots loosen and fall out. There is a company 3 miles from me who make loads of these panels from wood which often shipped on the decks of ships and it is still wet when they use it to make panels. Get the best quality ones you can as they will last longer. We have a row of 6ft panels across the back of out garden and when we have to replace one I have to recruit my son and son-in-law who are both six footers, me I'm a short arse and need some steps.lol Also a very calm day. +1 on the sympathy for all those suffering flooding , can't imagine how it feels.

5. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)
    American Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Got up to put some wood in the stove and jumped on the computer for a sec. Looked at your photos and was wondering what outing it was with all the cars. Looked like an old castle or a church or both? How long ago was this? Looked like a nice day out. Got to go back to bed now or I'll be a mess tomorrow. Its such an awful time trying to deal when you're half asleep. The bet is $12, 641.00 and you have to figure out what 5% commission is in an instant and your eyes aren't open. duhhhhh. Frankie

6. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    Hi Frankie
    i need a calculator.

The day out was a good day at Duxford Imperial War museum which was a WW1 and WW2 airfield and laterly assigned to the USAF until the end of the war when it reverted to the RAF. There are 5 or 6 hangers with all forms of aircraft from WW1 to recent and commercial aircraft also land and sea fighting vehicles. There is also an American Museum with a B52 taking up the hanger.

Been there twice now and still enjoy it and if it's a good day the Spitfire and Hurricane will fly. as there is a Spring car show and a good turn out of various cars.

have a look at the site http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

7. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Thank You very much. Frankie

8. EnthuZiaZT

EnthuZiaZT Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    Z4 28i Msport
    to put
    Hi Frankie & Brian

The Castle & Church Frankie has seen is the EAC trip to Rockingham Castle with it's own church in the grounds. I Guess he was looking at your photobucket album when he clicked on the Duxford picture in your signature. I realised this when I too clicked on it to see who was in it!! Lovely pics of the car, Brian, Mike bought the Practical Classics mag to have a look at the article.

We are still replacing our fence, 40' of which blew down the week before Xmas. We have 3 more 'concrete' posts to put in and 5 more feather board panels to make in between the storms!!!!

Mike & Sandy

9. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Thank You very much. Some one was going to post some pictures of the museum for me. Perhaps these are the ones..Frankie

10. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Hey Brian, what's this a picture of:

[​IMG]
    Looks like a pulley or tensioner.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    Frankie
    These are the old and new tensioner pulleys for the auxiliary drive belt (water pump and alternator) new on the left. The bearing in the black pulley were worn and I couldn't find just the pulley anywhere so I haad to change the whole thing, nice and quiet now.

Mike and Sandy
    We only lost 4 panels on Wednesday and I have mended them now just waiting for the wind to die down so I can get them into the slots in the old concrete posts, got to try to get Sheila to help.
    See you at Rutland if not before

12. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Our thoughts go out to all of you in the UK cleaning up after yet another storm. And here 's me whining about -40* temps and 3 ft of snow. Good luck from Canada, keep safe. JIM