Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

expensive day...:-(

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by joey, Jan 15, 2014.

1. joey

joey Zorg Addict
    British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 16v M44
    picked up punctures on both front tyres yesterday as well as losing wheel weights and the left brake pad binding onto the disc... two new bridgestone potenza £260 ..ouch! and the tracking is still out...tramlining like a good -un...keeps me alert!

new wishbone bushes required asap...and two new front brake pads and maybe lines....

booked in for next week probably another £150-200

will do my best to avoid driving through industrial area's and past building sites in future.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Wow, that's a pretty poor run of luck...

3. joey

joey Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    1.9 16v M44
    yup!....on the bright side at least it happened close to a tyre place...could have been a lot worse.....the mechanic thinks the wheel weights went leading to the steering wheel shake around 40-50 mph which alerted me to a problem...so I pulled over and found a screw right on the edge of the right front tyre... and it was losing pressure ..so nipped off to the place...they took the wheels off to check the balancing and found a screw in the same sort of area on the left front...i was watching so def no foul play..also found the left caliper was binding to the disc..they sorted it but the pad is 2/ 3rds through as a result..right wishbone bush was also shot..fair bit of play in the wheel.....

post xmas could have done without it....

still, its an excuse to get those powerflex bushes on!

4. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Never been lucky with punctures. Always get them near the sidewall, so they can't be repaired :(

5. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Bad Luck Joey - hell of a co-incidence! Where do you park at night - has somebody nobbled you?:(

6. joey

joey Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    1.9 16v M44
    just bad luck jonco..lovely little place where i live...my commute (due to flooding goes through a heavy industrial area with a massive rubbish dump..

have changed routes.

7. Stormy_be

Stormy_be Zorg Guru (I)
    Belgian Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 Roadster
    nobody likes this amount of bad luck. :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    No body deserves that kind of bad luck mate. There are some awful pot holes around Lincoln. The council are trying to fill them in but it's taking it's toll.

9. joey

joey Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    1.9 16v M44
    well chaps hopefully i've had my car related bad luck in one unpleasant dose!, but thanks for the figurative and collective pint and pat on the back...it was awful luck..

in perspective the car has really given me no other trouble and is a a joy to drive ,once I sort those wishbones and tracking out it will be even better,no point in doing tracking with dodgy wishbones...obviously the change of wheels from the 15'' to 17'' has highlighted an issue that was already there and perhaps made it worse and also the tyres are now a bit pricier but..

lets be honest..a 15 yr old car really is at the point where the bushes and other rubber components need replacing..I knew there might be some unexpected expense when I bought the car so I was prepared for hoses and bushes and had factored it in over the next 2 services.

I will let you all know how the car feels once the new bushes go on, but I expect a huge improvement in handling..my opinion on going up in wheel size is this..

grip improved 100%, handling reduced by about 30% I would say anyone considering going 17" or above has to do the powerflex bushes..or tramlining will be a real issue as I have found, if I had to do it again I would do it all at the same time.