Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine noise?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by zedwheels, Feb 2, 2012.

1. zedwheels

zedwheels Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter British Zeds

Hello fellow zedders.
    The Alpina i recently bought needed the brake fluid replaced so i contacted my
    mechanic who was BMW trained but now works for himself to carry out the change
    for me and i asked him to give the car a check over as well.
    The only thing that concerns him was there is a slight rattle noise which he believes
    is to do with the vanos!!
    I have rang the garage where i had the car and they now need me to take it to them
    so that they can also listen to this rattle but it is about a 3 hour drive.
    I had a browse on the internet, because i didnt know what a vanos was, and also
    read some comments from other BMW owners who says that its not realy something
    to worry about as it's quite common to this type of car.
    Anyway i'm wondering what advice anyone has about this noise and is it something
    that's common to the car or should i consider it an urgent matter.
    I only took out the low option warranty with the car but feel confident that they will
    look into it for me. But, if my warranty does'nt cover this what is the expected cost
    of repair?
    By the way the car runs great at the moment, i didnt even know there was a noise
    until this fluid change!!

2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport