Electrical Question...

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
Whats hot in the engine bay with key position 1, nearest to the headlights. No real current draw required... ?. Appreciated...

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Key position 1
Fan
Radio
Dash
Temperature sensor
Clock
And on German spec cars washer fluid tank and cold start thing (writes Pierburg on the top, have no idea what it is called).

IanA

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
... cold start thing (writes Pierburg on the top, have no idea what it is called).
It's the USA-spec emissions device that pumps extra air into the exhaust for 30 seconds after a cold start.
I've removed both on mine as UK does not have that requirement.

IanA

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Looks like he's reversing. Due to the tyre marks if not the smoke.

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
No, Im looking for a none switched supply, alive at position 1 and run. looks like a lead direct to fuse box might be the way...

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
Well I got the lights hooked up easy enough, but have an issue with the indicators, the sequence is a fraction too quick for the flasher relay and hickups every 3rd or 4th flash, the strips really need DC, no flash. Unless someone has a bright "no pun intended" idea. I might have to put the indicators in the too hard basket, and be happy with my DRLs... I think I need to go in to the hot/actuator side of the relay to get indicators working, even if they do run out of sync with the bulbs after a few flashes...

Ian&Sue

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 Z3
Well I got the lights hooked up easy enough, but have an issue with the indicators, the sequence is a fraction too quick for the flasher relay and hickups every 3rd or 4th flash, the strips really need DC, no flash. Unless someone has a bright "no pun intended" idea. I might have to put the indicators in the too hard basket, and be happy with my DRLs... I think I need to go in to the hot/actuator side of the relay to get indicators working, even if they do run out of sync with the bulbs after a few flashes...
We'd already put the indicators in the "can't be faffed basket" & we haven't even bought the lights yet.

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
Anyway Job done, kinda looks OK with the custom grilles I made last year..and my still primer gray repaired spoiler...I did put the indicators in the too hard basket in the end...
20240206_111040 (Medium).jpg

I should enter this into photo of the month yes ?....=))

Last edited:

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I take it that you still have a standard flasher unit fitted.
Stephen.

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
I take it that you still have a standard flasher unit fitted.
Stephen.
Yeah Stevo, didnt alter anything aside from drilling two tiny holes in the front right corner of the fuse box..I used a fuse tap on radio fuse, ran the positive to both seperately feeding the wire through all the clips without opening them along the existing loom to next to the air filter box. ran across the front of the radiator top using those clips under the plastic shroud the same way..You only need a small wire so there is plenty of room to feed through without breaking clips..the earths are run separately as well to the two handy earth points just behind the L and R headlight assemblys. soldered and heat shrunk to the DRL tails.

The DRLs have their tails pointed to the inside of the car otherwise they fill from the outside in on startup, and its easier to trunk the wires that way.. cable tied to all the others behind the light clusters. The fuse tap, well I didnt bother checking what side of the existing fuse was fused, it doesn't worry me if the lights are fused twice, and it only fits in one way anyway... Point I will make though, they are not incredibly bright, on a sunny day its not immediately obvious there on unless your directly in front of car, all other times the are obvious or glaringly obvious, About right in IMHO.. And the double sided tape only works once, clean the top of the headlight and put it on in the right place first time. Ill take pics a bit later... :thumbsup:

Oh , and if you use the radio fuse to tap, you will have to remove one of the spare fuses from inside the fuse cover lid in order to refit the cover, Its a bit tight even for a low profile fuse tap...

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
Yeah I was rotating the pictures and it crashed at my end too...LOL... hang on a tick...

Fixed....

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Interested to see how you had went for the wiring.
My Dakar has drl cob led fitted lower bumper ( old forum Picture first i found)
Screenshot_20240206_222510_Samsung Internet.jpg

These were too bright to run other than daylight i have mine wired to a drl relay
( box 3 wires first to earth, second to a permanent live and third to position light live ( sidelights) )
So when engine running lights cone on automatically if you turn on sidelights drl either go out or go to reduced output depending on drl relay type on engine shut off drl go out when relay senses this.
Stephen.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Your indicator issue may be sorted by changing ( or converting) your standard thermal flasher unit for an electronic one.
Cant guarantee this would be a fix but may help.
Stephen

Last edited: