E89 e89 Wind Deflector Upgrade Warning

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
If like mine your e89 wasn't specified with the OEM deflector and like me you decide to retro fit here's a word of caution. Second hand parts can be hard to locate as breakers seem to be removing the deflector but not the fixing brackets and hoops etc, so here is a tip.

Information on the upgrade says you need the correct rear facing roll hoop covers to be able to fit the deflector kit and these have a different part number to the standard ones. So I assumed that there are differences in either the shape or structure of the covers so duly ordered a pair of OEM covers (at £22.40 each, not a fortune I know but its a lot for parts you dont need). There is a difference but not what I expected....see below.

The only difference are two 7mm holes drilled in the cover for the screws to pass through to secure the deflector bracket to the roll hoop o_O You can drill these into your existing covers without to much difficulty.

So in short you do not need to buy special modified hoop covers to fit the deflector kit onto your e89 just measure and drill 2 holes in each and can save some money. BMW have had an email from me and I received an apologetic reply and the offer to return the parts.....do you think they know it's a bit of a rip off? :rolleyes:

All you need is the deflector and the mounting brackets don't bother hunting for second hand brackets you can get them on line for £2.80ish each The deflectors range second hand from ebay auctions selling for £100 to £150. if you see one make an offer, I did and got one for £80

Just thought I'd share.

hoops.jpeg

koolflyer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster & Z4 3.0 M Sport E89
Hi, ta for the 'heads up'. I'm on the lookout for a second hand deflector and brackets for the E89, so a careful bit of measuring and drilling is what's needed, cheers KF :thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If like mine your e89 wasn't specified with the OEM deflector and like me you decide to retro fit here's a word of caution. Second hand parts can be hard to locate as breakers seem to be removing the deflector but not the fixing brackets and hoops etc, so here is a tip.

Information on the upgrade says you need the correct rear facing roll hoop covers to be able to fit the deflector kit and these have a different part number to the standard ones. So I assumed that there are differences in either the shape or structure of the covers so duly ordered a pair of OEM covers (at £22.40 each, not a fortune I know but its a lot for parts you dont need). There is a difference but not what I expected....see below.

The only difference are two 7mm holes drilled in the cover for the screws to pass through to secure the deflector bracket to the roll hoop o_O You can drill these into your existing covers without to much difficulty.

So in short you do not need to buy special modified hoop covers to fit the deflector kit onto your e89 just measure and drill 2 holes in each and can save some money. BMW have had an email from me and I received an apologetic reply and the offer to return the parts.....do you think they know it's a bit of a rip off? :rolleyes:

All you need is the deflector and the mounting brackets don't bother hunting for second hand brackets you can get them on line for £2.80ish each The deflectors range second hand from ebay auctions selling for £100 to £150. if you see one make an offer, I did and got one for £80

Just thought I'd share.

View attachment 140105
That is good info for E89 owners Niall. Could be me further down the line.

Tony.

koolflyer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Further to Nodzed's (Niall) post. My new Z4 E89 also didn't come with a fitted wind deflector. I got myself an OEM wind deflector off Ebay (not cheap), and as Niall said I purchased two vertical mounting brackets, 4x star screws and 4x caps from BMW Online £2.80 each bracket plus screws and vat.
I also reused the original silver hoops with a bit of very careful measuring and drilling.
What I could have done with was some datum points for drilling, so without that I very carefully prized off the silver rear hoop, which in turn allowed me to see and mark where I needed to drill. For anyone else doing this relatively easy job I took the exact measurements to form a datum (see diagram). As has been said, just be patient and careful when prizing apart the hoops. My car was parked deliberately in the warm sunshine today, so that made things a little easier!
Thanks again to Niall for passing on his findings....certainly helped me :thumbsup:
KF
E89 Hoop 1.jpg
E89 Hoop 2.jpg
E89 Hoop 3.jpg
Image1.jpg

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nice job Pete. The plastic is very similar on an E85, needs to be warm or some of the clips will break. I did some measurements for a friend in Lincoln when he had and E85. Glad you got it done mate.

Tony.

koolflyer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Cheers Tony, hope it helps

koolflyer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Picture of said new motor?
Ha! There you go. Absolutely love the drive, and touring is why I got it, but I'm very grateful that I can still keep my 'fun factor' baby [Z3]. As has been said by you guys, the Z3 is a totally different motor and just as good in it's own way IMHO.
E89 main.jpg

Last edited:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
@koolflyer Great job mate and the measurements will certainly help others, wont need to remove the covers to drill...brilliant. :thumbsup:

Now you just need to colour code those covers :whistle::whistle:=))

20200827_084302.jpg

koolflyer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
That is definitely nice Pete especially the wheels. What does Dave think? Think BMW made a nice job of styling that with a little bit of Volvo P1800 thrown in :)
Thank you I love it. Dave's seen it, but I think he wants to check it out properly....when he can!:coolsteer)

burley65

British Zeds
Model of Z
G29 M40i
Fitted my deflector today using original roll hoop covers and all went well using the information available above, thanks to those who contributed.
It’s 4 degrees I’ve got the top down but I’m still smiling.
Mike