E89 - hard reset on the iDrive system?

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
Hi all - I'm trying to get rid of all previous owners information on the car's hard drive - I've been through all the menus I think.

The main screens shows something called "Office" which has the last owners details, and I want to remove it all.

Does anyone know how to do this please?

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
There are a number of areas to look at. I suspect the data you are talking about is likely to be associated with paired phones. Ensure you have deleted all paired phones and that should delete any phonebook data too.
  1. "Telephone"
  2. "Bluetooth® (phone)"
  3. Highlight the mobile phone that is to be unpaired.
4. Open "Options".
5. "Remove phone from list"

Contacts from a mobile can be downloaded and stored in the car itself.

1. "My contacts"
  2. Highlight the contact.
  3. Open "Options".
  4. "Delete contact" or "Delete all contacts"

You can add a "Home address" contact. Not done this but suspect it is deleted through the standard process.

There may well be music stored on the hard drive.
1. "CD/Multimedia"
2. "Music collection"
3. Open "Options".
4. "Delete music collection"

The previous owner may have stored their home location in the satnav (which is a dangerous thing to do - someone who get your keys gets you car and access to your home if you keep all you keys together!!!) - Cant recall directly but this is likely to be associated with the Home Address. I suspect that you can also set the home location via the GPS. Would have to check this on the car. I might be recalling my LandRover details though.

Office is a suite of functions available on some mobile phones. It may appear as a sub function item under the phones capabilities I don't think there will be any data on the car for this - it is all obtained from capable mobile phones getting email, contacts etc. Delete the phone then this goes too.

This should get reid of most if not all personal data entered by previous owners.

Newer versions of iDrive have specific Personal Data Delete functions.

Hope this helps. If there is a specific area let me know what and I'll go look at the car.

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
That's really helpful - thanks for taking the time to put all that down.

It looks like the problem I have is with step 4. Open "Options". I cannot see any Options option ( :whistle: ) on screen when I go into Bluetooth (but I do see the previous guys phone as one of the known devices).

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Some versions of software are slightly different in their functionality. But, I suspect deleting the old phones should solve many of the problems. Don't want to try some of the options myself. It's the better half's car. I may not live to see morning if I screw up accidentally modify the config.:whistle:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
That's great - many thanks - I'll have a play this afternoon.