Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement Donations - Supporting ZRoadster.org

Discussion in 'New to zroadster.org?' started by GazHyde, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Hi all,

I've been asked a few times recently by members who have asked how they can help support the site. Historically donations have been declined, or directed towards a charity (the only exceptions to this was when some banners were bought for the forum by various members - I won't embarrass them by mentioning it again).
    I've borne the costs of running and maintaining the forum, whilst James' company (php5hosting.com) have provided the resources for hosting the site free of charge.

The site has grown from nothing to something larger than I ever envisaged in 27 months. Up until about 6 months ago I had been running it as a hobby, but it's clear that it is more than that now. The amount of visitors to the site as a whole (not just the forum, but the wiki's etc) last month was 20% up on previous months.

Merchandise has brought in a reasonable contribution to those costs, which I am grateful for those who have purchased the bits 'n' bobs I've organised (mugs, calendars, tax disc holders etc). In response to those who have recently offered their support, and to those who have made donations already in the last few you have my appreciation.

I'm not asking for donations. If you want to make one, then that's very nice of you. What I am going to do is offer something in return should you want to. I can't out of personal conscience receive something without giving you something back.

All donations go in to a ring fenced forum PayPal account, and will only be used for forum costs (whether for the website/forum or for items for events such as banners etc) . I shan't be holidaying in the Bahamas next year.
    I am also going to be taking paid adverts should any more companies wish to support the forum.
    If you have any questions please ask.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    How to use the "Bookmarks" feature (Supporter only feature)

Using the Bookmark function, you will never lose that useful thread or post again!

Bookmark link in bottom corner of post (this can bookmark individual posts, so you can link direct to the post which you are interested in!)
    upload_2014-3-4_9-46-30.png

When you click on it you can fill in useful details to remind you why you bookmarked it!
    upload_2014-3-4_9-47-41.png

Your bookmarks are accessed using the ribbon icon which has now appeared next to alerts. "Quick Link" bookmarks will show in the drop down menu. Click the ribbon to access all bookmarks
    upload_2014-3-4_10-1-25.png

This screen shows how your bookmarks are organised
    • The Top Gear thread is a sticky so will always show at the top of the list
    • Filter by Tag allows you to sort via your custom tags
    • You can see these two bookmarks are private, and only accessibly by you.
    upload_2014-3-4_9-54-15.png

Filter by Tag function
    upload_2014-3-4_9-57-55.png

Click edit to change your bookmark settings
    upload_2014-3-4_9-57-6.png

Any questions, just ask ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Adding Photos to your own media albums (Supporter only feature)

This allows you to upload your own personal photo albums, which you can share with other members, or use the IMG tags show them in your posts.

When adding Media, you have an extra option. The process is the same as adding media in general, so I won't cover that here.
    upload_2014-3-4_10-6-19.png

You access your albums using this option on the media menu, or from the side bar
    upload_2014-3-4_10-9-22.png

upload_2014-3-4_10-9-36.png

Your Albums
    upload_2014-3-4_10-10-13.png

IMG code tags for pasting in to posts, or sharing over the internet in general ;)
    upload_2014-3-4_10-11-30.png

Various editing tools
    upload_2014-3-4_10-12-3.png
    • Use Media as Avatar
    • Crop
    • Tag Members in Media
    • Rotate Left/Right
    • Flip Horizontal/Vertical
    • Edit Media
    • Delete Media

• Like Like x 1
  4. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Thank you for the generous response to this! Hopefully everyone so far has received the additional functionality. Let me know if you have any questions or issues with the extras!

:thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
  5. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Thanks to everyone for the positive response to this. I promised I would give feedback on how your donations are spent so you know it's being used diligently ;)

2 expenses this month. I've just renewed our annual maintenance contract with XenForo, so we have another year of support and new releases.

I have also invested in the new article system. 15% of visits to ZRoadster.org is to the technical wiki, which is hosted outside of the forum page. That means we have thousands of visitors who drop by but don't necessarily visit the forum. Now they will arrive directly in to the forum structure, and will hopefully sign up and join in.

• Like Like x 4
  6. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    It's Boxing Day and the festivities are over for me now, so thought it was time to catch up with some forum house keeping chores.

I've just purchased and upgraded to the latest version of Bookmarks as detailed in the first post. For those who have previously donated and use the Bookmark feature, you now have three extra options to play with described below.
    • Bookmark Resources - link at bottom of resource.
    upload_2014-12-26_13-15-25.png
    • Bookmark Showcases - link at end of General Information section
    upload_2014-12-26_13-16-36.png
    • Insert Bookmarks directly in to posts - button under Quick Reply window
    upload_2014-12-26_13-17-50.png

Which allows you to filter search your current bookmarks
    upload_2014-12-26_13-18-39.png

...and then choose to either put a link to the original forum post, or to directly quote the message in this one.
    upload_2014-12-26_13-19-1.png

• Like Like x 2