Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma. Paint or sell?

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by g8jka, May 15, 2019.

?
  1. Repaint the Z3

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. Buy a 3.0 Z4

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    I have a dilemma. I have some new panels for the zed and it needs some paint on most other panels. I’ve had a quote which I think is reasonable for £2400 for whole car to be painted excluding windscreen surround. It needs some money spending on it to get the exterior mint but apart from that the rest is just small jobs as I’ve done pretty much everything I want to it.

But I keep looking at Z4 3.0’s.

What do I do?! Repaint the Z3 and having it looking mint and not need to do anymore modifications to it or sell it and put the money plus what I have saved towards a Z4 and start all over again?

I know the Z3 is a very nice car and I pretty much have it exactly as I want but I keep looking at Z4s. Problem is I would probably want the facelift and prices are a little too high plus I would then want to start modding all over again. I could afford an earlier model 3.0.

Also we should be moving into a new home this year so priorities will change where my money goes.

I think I’m being sensible and talking myself out of the Z4 at the moment but I can’t make my mind up.

2. andyglym

andyglym Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Tough call which only you can make. Me, I'd invest in the Z3, especially if you need ££'s for moving. As said, you'll want to mod the Z4 to get it as you want it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Grumps

Grumps Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    It wouldn't cost you anymore for an early 3.0 than your 3 is worth Dave.

4. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    I’m not sure, mine may fetch 2-2.5k with mileage and condition as I’d put it back to standard. Then sell the mods separately, which I probably have 3k worth! So yes I would get an early one but it would be higher mileage and probably relatively rough for my needs. So then I would start spending again, lowering springs, exhaust, brake hoses etc and that’s just for starters. I could maybe stretch to 7 grand for one but it’s a lot of hassle stripping and selling mine then buying again. And then it would probably be a standard one which I’d just be itching to start modding and then the costs add up. There’s far to many pros and cons with both models I really wish I haven’t of thought of changing!

5. Grumps

Grumps Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Then don't

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    Pictures speak louder than words.
    20190413_162720.jpg 20190413_162624.jpg

Tony.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Grumps

Grumps Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    T**t! =))=))

Tony.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Mint

Mint Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    1st Z3 | 2.2 | Sport | Individual 2nd - Z3 | 3.0 | Sport
    I went down the Z4 route for a bit, then sold it and put the money into my 2.2 Z3:whistle::whistle: Say no more;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Brian H

Brian H Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds Scottish Zeds

Model of Z:
    E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
    Keep the Z3, repaint, buy a house, settle in, live a little, sell the Z3, buy a Z4 :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. ktnez99

ktnez99 Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8L
    You already know the answer to your question, I think...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mac Romans

Mac Romans Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    My s***'s custom!
    I love my Z4 and would have it over a Z3 but....
    I hate seeing nice cars waste. If you can save something beautiful then that might be the right choice. Save the Z3:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sean d

Sean d Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8
    I suppose it depends on what rocks your boat mate, would you get more enjoyment out of a Z4, there are a few peeps on here that have done the swap and gone back to a 3, I drove a z4 a couple of weeks back and found it to be like most modern cars and nowhere near as engaging as a z3, it kind of reminded of white goods, it just does a job

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gookah

gookah Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Z3
    20190413_162720.jpg

20190413_162624.jpg

If he is being advised to keep the Z3, then that's not helping Tony

@Grumps, yours too is a very nice Z3, as is David's,
    ...........................but if there is one Z4 to sway him....... that's one
    and I reckon it's @t-tony that's got him thinking this way in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gookah

gookah Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Z3
    If you are thinking of changing, I think it is now an itch that will need to be scratched, and won't go away anytime soon.
    It's always nice to change to a different car, as driving the same one day in day out takes that special edge off it, regardless of how nice it is.

Don't forget that most of the enjoyment you have had, has been down to the modifying, and now that part is more or less finished, you have ended up with a car that is everything you wanted ........but will that then be enough?
    When I got my Z4M roadster, the drive was manic, but most of the enjoyment for me disappeared because it was already fully loaded, I felt I couldn't do anything with it, I couldn't tinker with it anymore, and improve it the way I wanted, so it bored me somewhat. I was just able to clean it and drive it like miss daisy because if I did put my foot down I would get flashed and abused.
    So i ended up back in a Z3, but also now, I have Jem's Z4 to work on, and that too has been fun, doing the tinkering again on that car.

You may pay £2400 for the respray which is the base value of the car, which you may not get back..... and so what,

However, will you enjoy the end result of that amount as much as the 3k spent on your upgrades. Most of our cars are not perfect, but they still get great comments because of what we have done.
    Also as they are not perfect, we dont fear taking them out of the garage because of a stone chip or a mark here and there,
    You may end up spending £2400 and making it a garage queen and then buying a cheap run around because you dont want to spoil it,
    And dont forget not too long ago you fell out of love with it.

A Z4, if you spend well, will get you the base you want, and you can get other things for that over a period of time. A bit here and there, just as you have done with the Z3.
    Remember, it has taken you 9 years of gathering bits and modding starting with the zed you first bought in 2010.
    This car:
    2010-04-05-152738_24100679880_o.jpg
    Ps who was that fully loaded fat b*****d in the background?

and now you have this:

20180409_201509_39541391960_o.jpg

You have shown that you dont need a perfect example which is fully loaded to start the journey again, but with a renewed vigour and love affair.

and even @t-tony's car is not perfect. He covers all his marks with stickers ....
    He has a lot of marks....... ;)

#15 gookah, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gookah

gookah Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Z3
    also I will let you into a little secret,

I have seriously thought about selling my Z3 too (along with the 1 series).. keeping the Z4, and buying an M140.....
    but then on a day like today when the sun is out and the garage door opens to reveal it..... :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    Why did you have to post that! T@@t!

I love the rear of the Z4 but not to keen on the front and there isn’t a massive amount that can be changed with it. Stuff like clear indicator lights all round are not cheap if it doesn’t have them, I’d want memory ///M seats sat nav etc and if I went for a base model these parts are harder to come buy and more expensive than parts for the Z3.

18. DavidM

DavidM Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Keep the Z3 and respray it - with a set of new alloys for a complete change - you’ll be driving the Z3 for another lot of years!:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    You don’t help either having a Z4 on the drive :banghead:

If I spend the money of paint combined with what I paid for the car it would have effectively only cost me 3.8k which will have turned out to have been a very cheap and very nice condition z. There is still plenty to be done, engine bay and all the underside including new bushes etc and I will always find something to do, it will never be finished so I’m not worried about that. Over the next couple of years my priorities will change and I won’t be spending as much time or money on the cars so having something nice sitting in the garage that doesn’t need as much work will be nice. Then with a Z4 the enjoyment would start all over again.

And that was the modified version of me, I’m now more aerodynamic and stopped spending money on doughnuts and spent it on the car instead.

I could sell mine buy a Z4, buy your shed for peanuts as it needs so much work that needs doing and you could have an M140 that way we all win =))

20. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    I changed the alloy colour last year and I’m happy with them plus I have a winter set and hardtop that changes the look again. I’d do a couple of other things if I was to keep it to change the looks again slightly, I’m not one to buy a sell every few year so whichever way I go it would be staying around for at least another 5 years I would think.

• Like Like x 1