Diff and gearbox oil

dva99999

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 E85 Automatic
Having just 'learned' to change engine oil, filters and spark plugs I'm now turning to the gearbox and diff oil.

The gear change on my 2.8 is rather clunky and as I have no idea if it has been changed or not I think this might be worthwhile.

But my question is this....although there is a recommended BMW type SAF-XO oil, I've read that Redline D4 is better for smoother gear changes, does anyone else agree?

Also what's the difference between gearbox oil and diff oil? There are loads of descriptions I,e. Manual transmission/transaxle/ is Redline description and gearbox oil is Castrol Syntrax version.

Castrol also states 75w-90, while this is not present on the Redline D4 choice.

Any help would be most appreciated.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I have no idea if it has been changed or not I think this might be worthwhile
You will find that a gearbox oil change is worthwhile, particularly if it hasn't already been changed. I had it changed on both my Z3s on purchase, but I can't remember what the garage used. I'll try and dig out the receipt when I get home if someone else hasn't already replied.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Stick your head under your gearbox and see what colour sticker it has "Yellow or Orange" this then relates to the type of oil you will need. I've found Opie oils very helpful. I rang them last time I needed oils for my Z3M.

Lee

S54addict

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
S54 Z3M, Z4M coupe/roadster
Different car similar set up... My 2003 e46 m3 manual when cold 1st to 2nd is knotchy, also there seems to be a weird... Almost delay feel into 3rd under low revs?? To be honest I drive a bit like an old lady to which some people have said this is the problem not the car?? They prefer to be actually driven!
Any ideas please :)

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Did diff and gear box oil changes last service and used castrol syntrax and syntrans. With the 2.8 make sure you buy lsd oil for the diff.

dva99999

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 E85 Automatic
All done today, also flushed the coolant.

I found the most awkward thing was refilling the gearbox. It needed doing as justified by the colour of the fluid that was drained out!!

I had a very small amount of space to work with. I found a long inlet hose for washing machines came in handy.
The end fits in the refill hole quite nicely and can be wedged in. I swaged the other end so I could fit a large funnel inside. Then it was just a case of filling slowly and patiently.

I'll take it out tomorrow to see what difference it's made.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
You noticed a difference?
I'm considering it too on the same car as yours. Very clunky and tough 1st 2nd when cold.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
need to do mine, did the diff and that feels better and the oil was minging. can imagine my gearbox oil is shot at 85,000 miles.

how hard was it to do?

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
need to do mine, did the diff and that feels better and the oil was minging. can imagine my gearbox oil is shot at 85,000 miles.

how hard was it to do?
@5harp3y I should be doing mine soon,will post some pics if it helps unless someone else can advise you beforehand. It'll be the first time that I'll have done this as well.....maybe with the help of @t-tony :whistle:.

Steve

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Which oils did you use for each? And how much do i need?
Going to order this week
Hi @Davyhoogy apologies I forgot I said I would post some info after I had done mine.........i did but on my progress thread "made a start today"..
Gear box oil 2 litres Redline D4 used 1.5 litres approx. Has made gear changes smoother and the box quieter.
Diff oil 2litres Castrol syntrax 2 litres and it took just about all of it.
Got mine from @oilman Opie oils.
Hope this helps.

Steve

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Cheers mate.
There's just so many people using different oils so puts doubt into which one to use.

oilman

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Hi

There are loads of different oils to pick from, but if you want the best for the gearbox, the Red Line D4 is the one to go for. Fuchs ATF 5005 is also a top choice. Fuchs ATF4400, Millers SPIII, Castrol Dex III, Shell Spirax S4 HDX and Motul Multi ATF are good alternatives.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1432-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid.aspx

The limited slip diff takes a 75w-140 LSD oil and the Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip, Gulf Gear LS, Red Line 75w-140 GL5, Fuchs Sintopoid LS, Motul Gear Competition and Millers CRX NT LS are good options.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-674-75w-140-gear-oils.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Grandparipper

Model of Z
3.0 Roadster
My 98 2.8 manual says the fluid is 'lifetime' and to never change it. Sounds stupid to me, especially with 140,000 miles. However, it was very difficult to figure out what kind of non-BMW fluid to use. The dealership buys in bulk and does not sell it by the quart or liter. I asked Amsoil dealers, NAPA Auto, Etc., and got a different answer everywhere I went. We finally figured it out as ATF, not typical gear lube. I bought the best synthetic I could find and it has been great! I think I used Redline or Lucas.
For the differential, make sure if you have limited slip that you use that type of differential fluid! It has special additives and it needs them. You can use the LS fluid in a regular diff, but not the other way around!

lucky jim

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3
did my manual box & dif.glad i did a lot better ..see castrol web sight tells you about all oils. dif change is easy did it on a incline so when jacked at back veh. is level ...went to local tyre fitter i supplied the oil they were happy to do the g/box for £20 saved me messing about with axle stands .

Tracy Dee

Zorg Guru (III)
The M44 Massive
I need to get my diff oil changed next year on its next service as mileage is now 77k never changed.
@Lee changed my gearbox oil but i forgot all about the diff oil.
I guess it will be ok for another year.

Reactions: Lee