E89 Z4 23i Auto

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I'm fairly certain I won't buy another Sean, having said that I've been running Shirl here and there this last week in her Eos, and with that DSG gearbox it's a nice car to drive.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Some scaremongering going on there.
The lack of equivalent petrol cars would push up the prices of those but there's too many diesels around and too few petrol.
It doesn't address the use of the very same engines in many commercial vehicles. Pushing up costs to business would drive them out of those cities.

I can't see those cities that depend are car manufacturing cutting off their noses and all that.
The oil industry will have to rebalance it's supply chain, which I suspect can only be done to a point. There would come a point where diesel which to a large degree is produced as a by-product would become oversupplied and hence reduced in price.
Authorities can't make point based and simple decisions in isolation. You end up with unintended and frequently negative consequences.
Top end cars will continue to use diesels (the same ones as commercial vehicles) because the manufacturers need to keep the volumes up. Owners of those top end cars will simply buy a city car too to go to work thus reducing the pool of petrol cars and remove them from those who need them. Market forces will create a situation where a simple decision (quite well founded on an environmental perspective) will make those cities inaccessible by car to many.
It will take a great many years to change things. Do it quickly by a single policy and some cities will become ghost towns or accessible only by the very rich because individuals and businesses can't afford to go or work there due to a policy wonk.
It all needs carefully crafted and joined up thinking. Something no-one in this country seems able to do because it costs.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Anyone who takes any type of car into a city centre such as London, Birmingham or Manchester is onto a loser anyway. It costs the same extortionate fee to park a petrol car as it does a diesel.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Love my TD4 and loved my 1.9 TDi Galaxy. For a large family car they're just effortless driving.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Anyone who takes any type of car into a city centre such as London, Birmingham or Manchester is onto a loser anyway. It costs the same extortionate fee to park a petrol car as it does a diesel.
It's all just hurting the people who have made a big investment in their transport.
Will the likes of Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield provide alternatives such as edge of city parking with vastly improved and extended tram infrastructure with the money or to generate more? Of course they won't. It needs centralised government to drive policy but that won't happen because our political system won't allow it. Break that and then you will get big long lasting and effective strategy and change. Don't just blame and hurt the people who own something they've been encouraged to have.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
As the USA's consistently best seller for years it also says something about the way the US will be heading too.

Tony.