Diagnostics Tester for 1997 Z3 1.9L.

Barry Gadd

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L
I'm sure this question has been asked before but can anyone advise what diagnostics system our Z3 1.9L 1997 uses? I've checked the usual eBay list and several say OBD2 suitable for 2001 onwards.
Is the 1997 Z3 OBD2 compatible?
I know there is a 20 pin round connector under the bonnet but is there a standard in-line OBD type connector also fitted eg under the dashboard somewhere?
If I got a normal fault code tester eg OBD2 I would like to make an adaptor to connect the appropriate pins on the 20 pin one, to the in-line connector. Does anyone know which pins connect from one connector to the other?
Sorry for so many questions but my car is quite a challenge.......

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
OBD II equipped FROM 96 on. Check ebay for BMW Z3 specific testers. I believe most users have a P800 IIRC. If I'm wrong I'm certain someone will point you to the correct one or an alternative. JIM

vintage42

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
... can anyone advise what diagnostics system our Z3 1.9L 1997 uses?... Is the 1997 Z3 OBD2 compatible? I know there is a 20 pin round connector under the bonnet but is there a standard in-line OBD type connector also fitted eg under the dashboard somewhere?...
My 1997 1.9 has the round connector under the bonnet, shown right behind the coil pack here:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f...MW Z3 Related/Strut Bar/SS192_zps992d7f62.jpg
And also has the OBDII port on the side of the console, shown feeding a ScanGaugeII here:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ScanGauge/ScanGaugeampiPhone_zpsfcc71d04.jpg

But I am told that only the US cars have the OBDII port.

Z

zedonist

My 1998 has no OBD port inside the cabin, as said on UK cars diagnostics is done through the under bonnet connection

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Mine is 2000 and has OBD connector above the drivers knees behind a plastic flap. Don't know if this helps or just muddies the water even more but....

gizze

Dedicated Member
It was late '98 before the Z3 moved to standard ODB connector.

Before that you need an ADS adapter.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
...............You need a laptop with a proper serial port and an ADS adapter.
I think it's a bit more complicated. I have a 98 (12/97 build) with only the 20 pin under the bonnet. I can read all BMTechnics INPA modules except Instrument cluster which I was told by BM Technics requires a serial port and ADS interface as you have mentioned. There was an attempt over on .net to tabulate which modules could be accessed on various years/models - it clarified a few things but there was still a lot of confusion on others.

Z

zedonist

Due to the age of the Z3 not all modules can be read, I.e they don't all have communication channels. Hence INPA can only look at Engine and related modules. I have this on my broken laptop. That said with the ELM device and IPad I have the same access as INPA and a lot cheaper to boot.