d0wnin's Z3 (2.8)

d0wnin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself and show my progress for my Z3. I'm Chris and I brought my 2.8 Facelift Z3 in Topaz Blue at the start of August (Just over 2.5 weeks ago).

The car was lacking some TLC when I got her (She's done about 77K miles).

Factory Specifications:

Car: Z3 Roadster
Year Registered: 2000
Year Built: 1999
Colour: Topaz Blue
Engine: 2.8 M52 Engine
Transmission: Manual
Wheels: 16" Style 64
Interior: Black Leather
Ice: CD Autochanger
Wind Deflector: Perspex (Custom)

Completed Improvements:

Wheels: 17" Style 78 (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 225/45/17, 245/40/17)
Wind Deflector: Perspex
Front Headlights: Restored using Meguiars 2 step Headlight Restoration Kit
Brake Callipers: Painted black
Door Handles: Colour coded and replaced seals
Ariel Grommet: Replaced with new
Bonnet Badge: New BMW badge
Sidelight: New drivers sidelight
Sill: Rust treatment and undercoat (Drivers side done, passenger side to be done)
Interior: Replaced front tweeter fabric
Interior: Door card plastic respray (Black)
Interior: New BMW leather knob
Interior: New BMW mats
Air Con: Cleaned air con (Cleaning not really an improvement but the smell is a massive improvement)

Intended Improvements:

Brakes: Discs and pads to be replaced
Suspension: Bushes and suspension to be changed
Roof: New roof required
Paint: Scratches to be removed
Interior: Move roof switch to front (For me its in a stupid location)
Interior: Re-dye leather interior
Intake: Enclosed Nero Cold Air Induction Kit (Ramair)
Ice: New stereo for phone compatibility (Maybe)
Exhaust: Sports exhaust (Maybe)
Strut Bar: Front strut bar (Maybe)
Lights: Clear indicator mod (Maybe)

Story:

Here's some pictures of the car before I got her:

image.png

s-l1600-11.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

First job on the list was a broken gear knob which I found out about while driving her back, it literally came off in my hand...rather worrying and amusing at the time.

Next job was to replace the bonnet badge, the one on it was so faded it was basically white.

The next task was to give the car a good clean, I mainly focused on giving the engine bay a good detail, polishing the tail pipes (Previously black) and also set about cleaning the air con. The air con smelt very musty, so i used Autogylm air con cleaner which has worked perfectly.

The headlights were cloudy and yellow so I purchased some Meguiars 2 step headlight restorer. This has massively improved the headlights which look much newer.

IMG_1424.jpg

The boot smells damp however I couldn't find any wet spots. I had a look at the ariel grommet which had perished, so I set about replacing this. The next job is to remove all of the carpet for cleaning and then monitor if any leaks occur. Saying that I'm 99.9% sure it would have been leaking from the grommet:

IMG_1427.jpg

In the meantime i purchased a set of BMW style 78 wheels from a guy on eBay (Apparently were not buckled), I delivered these along with 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres to a local wheel business for a full refurb where the next day I received a call informing me that two were buckled. I received all 4 finished within 5 days and I must say they have done a stunning job.

IMG_1414.jpg

This weekend I fitted the new wheels (Stunning change i must say):

IMG_1428.jpg

While the wheels were off, I decided to take the sills off both sides to treat and to see if any rust had developed. Its obvious these have never been off, unfortunately I only had time to do the drivers side. The body of the car was in perfect condition however the sill had quite a bit of rust (As could be expected of the age).

IMG_1418.jpg

I therefore treated these with rust killer and then coated the body and also the inside of the sill with underbody rust proofer. I intend to do the passenger side shortly. While these coats were drying, I painted the callipers black.

Today I received my new perspex wind deflector from @Lee :

IMG_1429.jpg

Personally I think its much better than the fabric BMW one. (Less wind noise and can actually see out of the mirror).

Some other minor improvements today were new car mats and a new driver's sidelight. (Someone had bumped the front and cracked the plastic cover).

It has been a busy few weeks. The next improvements are detailed at the top.

The car now needs a proper clean and polish.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Keep up the good work. Looking better, like the wheels.:thumbsup:

Tony.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
Looking good already with the improvements. Nice to see another facelift 2.8, not many about. Mine started out how yours did but it's a little different now! Once you start you won't stop modding and finding jobs to do on these :thumbsup:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
:welcome:
Looking smart :thumbsup:

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
These cars are addictive, mine was completely unadulterated when I got it, now its completely adulterated :D

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Welcome to the site @d0wnin . Looks like you have picked up a lovely Z3 example. New wheels and tyres make a huge difference. Also got some 225 45 Asymmetric 5 Eagle f1' rubber and they have been excellent. Be sure and get some pictures up of the next detailing day.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Welcome @d0wnin great write up. Keep the photos coming, we love a good read here.

Lee

philiper

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
E86 Montego Blue Auto
looks great, love the colour (bit biased) ;) keep up the good work

d0wnin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
This weekend’s task....colour coding the door handles....

C29163EB-10F4-43DD-BF0B-86897061F1E9.jpeg

Oh and new door handle seals (perished to say the least)

Davester2.2sport

Zorg Addict
Supporter
#ZedShed
Your zed looks great mate.. the wheels make a massive difference to the look of the car....

Dave

d0wnin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Had some free time today so decided to sort out the tweeter mesh on both sides. So door cards off without breaking any clips :thumbsup:. This is what the tweeter mesh looked like on both sides...

IMG_1629.jpg

Its one of those things once you've seen it, every time you get into the car you see it!

Replaced the felt backing and resprayed with a matt black finish. Also took the opportunity to spray the interior door handle cover also.

While the door cards were off, i also fixed the leather coming away from the drivers side door card.

Before:

IMG_1630.jpg

After:

IMG_1632.jpg

Once the paint had dried, i put it all back together and back onto the car. For anyone who's doing this, I strongly recommend taking the inner window seal off and fit it to the door card before fitting to the car...it makes it far easier to fit.

Heres the finished effect:

IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1635.jpg

d0wnin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Two more jobs completed today.

First job was to replace my sticking throttle cable...relatively easy fix. D5226B5A-F459-412E-A219-C824F7DCE8ED.jpeg
Next job, I fitted a ramair enclosed filter, utilising the previous air scoop.

34C37671-7DC1-4BD9-B575-64B8B47EA641.jpeg

Sounds so much better and I think the delivery is much more progressive. Just need to sort the bracket out now.

Last edited:

d0wnin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
It’s about time the seats had some TLC. Typical signs of wear and tear probably from someone’s keys...

C9657DB6-25E7-43C3-80D1-6830EA5EF3B3.jpeg

I got some black leather dye and decided to do the seats and leather panels on the door. This is the result:

16D4ECA4-DA91-4353-A498-87F9AB21EFC6.jpeg
971E5866-B6D9-48B0-84B8-65E0668CEDBE.jpeg