Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise control on early 2.8

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Richieroo, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Richieroo

Richieroo Regular Member

Have recently bought a 1997 2.8 with (I think) cable throttle. I've seen cars of similar age with cruise control.

I've seen all the really good stuff here about retro-fitting to "fly-by-wire" throttle models, but does anyone know if retro fitting is possible to this type?

Thanks in advance

Richieroo

2. Brian H

Brian H Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds Scottish Zeds

Model of Z:
    E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
    Hi @Richieroo ,

It is possible to retrofit cruise control to cars with a throttle cable, the process is is little more involved and a few more parts needed. A couple of members have recently done this modification (not on a 2.8 though), I believe it is a bit of a scavenger hunt to get all the right parts together if you are buying second hand.

Hopefully someone with the know how will be along shortly to give a helping hand.

HTH

Brian

3. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    It can be done as a few have recently done this albeit on Z3M's but I believe it is the same parts except maybe the bowden cable. You will need the following;

Control module
    Steering column stalk (4 wire)
    Actuator
    Bowden cable

The actuator is used by several BMW cars so is quite common to find but the bowden cable used to connect to the throttle arm is specific to the Z3 as there are different lengths depending on the application. I would give @swamper or @z3cade a shout as they have both done this mod recently.