Crankshaft sensor replacement

mcremin85

Dedicated Member
Looking to install new crankshaft sensor on a 2000 z3 2.0l. Can anyone advise is there much to it? I recently replaced both camshaft sensors and 1 of them was an original so for peace of mind going to replace crankshaft sensor.

Zac

Dedicated Member
Looking to install new crankshaft sensor on a 2000 z3 2.0l. Can anyone advise is there much to it? I recently replaced both camshaft sensors and 1 of them was an original so for peace of mind going to replace crankshaft sensor.
Hi, did you have any symptoms, like rough idle or Engine failure??? I said this as my friends Z3 recently cut out whilst driving and he seems to think it is the Camshaft sensor!

Zac

Dedicated Member
Hi, did you have any symptoms, like rough idle or Engine failure??? I said this as my friends Z3 recently cut out whilst driving and he seems to think it is the Camshaft sensor!
There are alot of videos on YouTube about replacing these 👍 just search it

JFBimmer

Model of Z
So camshaft and crankshaft sensors are different! Sorry I’m a bit of a noob!

mcremin85

Dedicated Member
Having similar problems!
Yep there different real oem bmw website will give you orginal part numbers you just need to enter last 7 digits of vin. Also get a code reader as these sensors normally flash a code. Don't buy cheap sensors buy oem I learnt the hard way. I replaced both sensors and also changed the vano seals. Totally transformed the car.

JFBimmer

Model of Z
Having similar problems
Yep there different real oem bmw website will give you orginal part numbers you just need to enter last 7 digits of vin. Also get a code reader as these sensors normally flash a code. Don't buy cheap sensors buy oem I learnt the hard way. I replaced both sensors and also changed the vano seals. Totally transformed the car.

ok cool thanks for this! How do I find that website? Is there a link or url you could post here? Sorry, completely new at the z3bmw game!

JFBimmer

Model of Z
Also, I haven’t searched for vin plate yet, any idea where it is?

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
RealOEM site here for 2.0l Year 2000 build month 6 showing camshaft sensors 5 & 18 Exhaust and Inlet sensors, best code read the car and see if one has set a code and replace that one, be expensive if you juyst throw sensors at it.

Crankshaft sensor diagram item 8 in the diagram

These sensors should be replaced with oem brands Bosch or Seimens I have used Hass brand with no problems.
VIN will be on a label on the offside suspension turret in the engine bay. Use the last seven letters and digits in real OEM to get the actual data for your car as it left the factory.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Also, I haven’t searched for vin plate yet, any idea where it is?
At the bottom of the windscreen , usually left side.

Tony.

JFBimmer

Model of Z
Pretty immaculate condition! Had a look at the camshaft sensor at the front, the one you can actually get at (is that intake or the other one?). Sensor bit looks ok, but the wire with the plug that plugs into it, the plastic/rubber wire sheath is crusty and brittle. Could this be the problem? Would just like to replace the whole thing, but looks like a lot to dismantle to get at the other one! Is it as terrifying as it looks or actually ok if you take your time?

JFBimmer

Model of Z
Btw, I have ordered a code reader! Sounds like important bit of kit!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Pretty immaculate condition! Had a look at the camshaft sensor at the front, the one you can actually get at (is that intake or the other one?). Sensor bit looks ok, but the wire with the plug that plugs into it, the plastic/rubber wire sheath is crusty and brittle. Could this be the problem? Would just like to replace the whole thing, but looks like a lot to dismantle to get at the other one! Is it as terrifying as it looks or actually ok if you take your time?
The easy one to get to is the exhaust camshaft position sensor, the inlet one (usually the one that fails most often) is more difficult to change. I wrote a “How to ..” guide which explains it.
If you lift up the n/s windscreen wiper the Vin.no. is on a plate underneath it.

Tony.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
If the wire is suspect change it also to use your new scanner when it arrives you will need a 20pin to 16pin OBD2 cable changer to plug the scanner to the car into the round Pacman socket in the engine bay to read all modules on the car. If you have a 16pin obd2 socket under the steering wheel that will only read the engine and transmission modules.
Cable changers on ebay here try and choose a UK seller as lots come from China
Back to the sensors, the one with the long wire should be the inlet sensor the other over on the exhaust side of the head is the exhaust sensor.