could be of interest to some.

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
I used my lunch hour today to visit B.A.S. International soft top maunfacturers. I had already been in contact with them regarding a new hood, but as i had not seen one fitted, i thought i would go and see.
The main office and factory is in Cwmbran, near Newport. I arrived at the office and the secretary phoned through to the soft top fitter and i was pleased to be shown around the factory as they were making them. The fitter said they supply most of the sports car dealers in the country ,so if you have a quality one fitted in your area they most likely made it.

He opened up a Z3 one off the shelf and it is the same fabric as BMW use and is made in in the same mould. I musy say they were superb and very professionally made.

He did say that BMW hoods were made in Germany but have now been bought out by an American company .

I was so impressed i have booked my M in for the 10th may. ;)

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
You do sound impressed
Was the price impressive as well

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I did say they were good but no-one believed me [-(

As I said in another thread, the guy that fitted mine only fits BAS hoods if it's a pre-made one and on one ocassion he was fitting a hood to a car and it was the 1st one made by BAS of that model car. The top man from BAS came up to Bradford to look at the fitting and went away with some minor improvements after seeing it fitted, re-made to new spec and supplied to fitter. They were superb when I had problems with the 1st fitting of my hood and went out of their way to ensure I was happy because it was their hood I'd bought.

Are they fitting it for that price for you ??

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Yes Snoops, i have to leave the car a full day and also asked about protecting the bodywork he said he masks the rear aroud the hood area, he does seem the man for the job, in fact he is the only one who fits. ;)

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I think you're in safe hands, did you see the "kite mark" in the bottom left hand corner of the rear screen, I know offyourmarks didn't want that - just making sure you saw it in case it bothers you too ??

The screen IMHO is much more pliable than the original one I had which must mean for better "foldability" and less prone to becoming brittle and cracking easily.

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Thats a realy good price. My last z3 had had a new hood fitted to it just 6 months prior to me buying
the car and the invoice was still in the pack i was given with the car. it cost the previous owner
2K including the vat.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
zedwheels said:
Thats a realy good price. My last z3 had had a new hood fitted to it just 6 months prior to me buying
the car and the invoice was still in the pack i was given with the car. it cost the previous owner
2K including the vat.
That's about the price I'd expect the dealers to charge, I was quoted £1,600 18 months ago..

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
The kite mark is a quality mark so it wouldnt worry me about that snoops

2k for a hood zedwheels,it must be where Phil over on .net went x_x

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
Does he do different tints for the rear window? - I'd like a slightly dark (maybe 10%) one.

Is that the price for a double or single skin?

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
He does the BMW green tint window and the hood is the original for year of the car. ;) but he did offer me the one with relief pockets :-?

B

badman gee

HornelZ3M said:
He does the BMW green tint window and the hood is the original for year of the car. ;) but he did offer me the one with relief pockets :-?
paul, the one without relief pockets is the latest,

did you see both types?

:D

B

badman gee

Snoops said:
I did say they were good but no-one believed me [-(

As I said in another thread, the guy that fitted mine only fits BAS hoods if it's a pre-made one and on one ocassion he was fitting a hood to a car and it was the 1st one made by BAS of that model car. The top man from BAS came up to Bradford to look at the fitting and went away with some minor improvements after seeing it fitted, re-made to new spec and supplied to fitter. They were superb when I had problems with the 1st fitting of my hood and went out of their way to ensure I was happy because it was their hood I'd bought.

Are they fitting it for that price for you ??
we did believe you, but we wanted to see them in the cloth!

:D

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
paul, the one without relief pockets is the latest,

did you see both types?

Yes he showed me both but didnt like the relief pockets as they are open on the sides and i didnt like the thought of that.. :-o

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
I know that this is a mere detail, Paul, But what colour are you having, Black or Blue, as we can't remember at the NEC what colour you already have as the hood was folded away? Did you see if they did cream/light tan versions :)

B

badman gee

EnthuZiaZT said:
I know that this is a mere detail, Paul, But what colour are you having, Black or Blue, as we can't remember at the NEC what colour you already have as the hood was folded away? Did you see if they did cream/light tan versions :)
have sent you a pm mike.

they do a few colours including light cream etc.

mark.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Mike/Sandy

Not sure if you are contemplating a light coloured one but from my experience, years of trying to keep it clean and I mean really trying I just couldn't and lines became engrained and no amount of scrubbing could get them out... hence the change to a darker colour for me see below, I went through bucket loads of cleaning product on there to no avail...

My original roof had the relief sides but I much prefer the look of my new hood without them.

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Snoops said:
My original roof had the relief sides but I much prefer the look of my new hood without them.
I can see what you mean by the relief sides, but what is their purpose?
What do they relieve - is it cabin air pressure when you shut the door?

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Titan said:
Snoops said:
I can see what you mean by the relief sides, but what is their purpose?
What do they relieve - is it cabin air pressure when you shut the door?
Well it was explained to me by someone ?? can't remember who.... it helps the roof material fold back better and therefore lie better in the recess :|