Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant drain and refill....What should I know!

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by bonzo, Nov 5, 2013.

1. bonzo

bonzo Guest

Hi all. I guess as Zelda has an alloy engine, it's a good idea to regularly replace the anti freeze/water mix in the radiator to prevent corrosion as well as it's anti freeze function. What would you techies out there consider that interval should be? And can you run through the procedure for this, and the bleeding technique and anything else I ought to know.

Cheers m'dears

Bonzo.

2. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Hi - Techie I am not - but I have done this job on my '98 M44 engine although there are slight variations on other years/ engines it is straightforward. The recommended change is every 3 years and I replaced mine with Comma `Exstream G48' solution.
    If you look at this http://zroadster.org/wiki/bmw-z3/ma...52tu-thermostat-replacement-by-mike-fishwick/ then I think the pointers you need are contained in the text. Obviously a lot of this article will not apply if you are not doing the full job, but if you are going to drain the system it may be worth considering the history of your thermostat and pump while you are at it.
    HTH

#2 jonco, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013