Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch replaced...still slipping in 3rd and 4th

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by DivisionPhoto, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:41 AM.

1. DivisionPhoto

DivisionPhoto Newbie

I honestly dont know what to do. Just bought my second ever car (Z3 2.8 Widebody) and i cant drive it previous owner just had the clutch done. Apparently the mechanic was able to adjust something in a few minutes to make the clutch feel completely different. I would just like to know what it is and if i need to spend $500 on a clutch.

2. Lee

Lee Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds #ZedShed M Power

Model of Z:
    Z3 Roadie 3.0
    Welcome to the forum,

I've experienced something similar to this and found the clutch line (between solid pipe to slave the rubber bit) had gone soft so every time you press the clutch the pipe just expanded causing you to struggle getting it into gear. It's easy to access under the car drivers side of the gearbox.

Also check if there’s a clutch stop behind the pedal and make sure the mat is not tucked up behind it.

3. the Nefyn cat

the Nefyn cat Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter

Model of Z:
    2.2i Sport

And sometimes the hose starts disintegrating internally, it'll allow pressure through but won't allow it back. There's also a clutch delay valve fitted to some (at least) of these cars, they can hold pressure in the line and allow the clutch to slip. Happens with brake lines as well, brake goes on but won't come off fully.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    First thing to check is the clutch flexible hose is still rubber. If it has been changed to stainless steel type forget that as a fault. Secondly, being a suspicious type, did the pervious owner actually have a new clutch fitted? There should be a certain amount of warranty with this job? How long is it since it was fitted and how many miles has it done? There is NO adjustment on the Z3 clutch as far as I'm aware.

Tony.

• Agree Agree x 1