Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) removal

Clutch Delay Valve (CDV; 01’-02’ non-M Z3s):

1. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

hard top submitted a new resource:

Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) removal - Clutch Delay Valve (CDV; 01’-02’ non-M Z3s):

Read more about this resource...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rev

Rev Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter

I've removed this from my Z8 and it makes a world of difference.

Great post!

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend
    Supporter The M44 Massive

What is the purpose of the CDV? I have one also and wish to remove it, mine is a 98 M44

4. Rev

Rev Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter

Hi David,

By slowing down the fluid it makes you take more time to change gear and so takes strain from the drive train, but it also makes gear changing gratey if you don't give it time, especially when cold. I do not race the said car nor change that quickly usually, so I can't imagine I put any strain on the box, but I find now everything is a lot smoother.

I cannot imagine that any race car would ever have one fitted, but see it as a device to save BMW from coughing up on warranty issues with boy racers.

This is from Wikipedia and explains:

A clutch delay valve is an automotive component added to the clutch system of an automobile to standardize clutch engagement speed. Its purpose is to engage the drive train of an automobile without introducing shock to the drive train components by engaging too quickly. By preventing drive train shock, CDVs also prevent an automobile's balance from being upset, which aids in handling characteristics.

Clutch delay valves operate on the principle that engagement only needs to occur at a certain rate to be efficient and that engaging at a quicker rate can damage the drive train components of an automobile. Engaging the drive train to the engine too quickly can damagedrive train parts, including the transmission, differential, half shafts, axles, and CV joints. Engaging the drive train too slowly can damage the clutch friction disc and cause clutch slippage.

Clutch delay valves operate as one-way restrictor valves that limit the volume of fluid that can move through the lines in a given time. This ensures a steady quick and firm engagement without being too fast for the drive train to handle since clutches can quickly disengage but re-engagement is damped. The clutch delay valve slows clutch engagement and was intended to reduce drivetrain shock in the event that an inexperienced driver quickly engaged the clutch at higher revs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

Thanks for the reply Rev, I find I can still gear quickly but the lag on the engine is what puts me off...
    Can this valve be bore out or does it have to be replaced? Thanks again :)

6. Rev

Rev Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter

I bought a replacement part from the USA. It was just the same but bored out, so I would suggest any opening of the gap will do. Even a half way house would be much better.

I'm very pleased with the gear change now over and above before.

:)

7. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

Very good, thanks for the heads up re being able to bore it out, I will have a look soon and hopefully determine whether it can be a DIY job for people to do in the future ;-) thanks again Rev

• Like Like x 1
  8. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1