Cleaning rear drains?

BMDoubleDrew

I've read quite a few posts about the rear drains and I understand where the holes are, but how does one reach them? Do I have to take off portions of the roof to reach them? Or can I reach them from above or below with the top on? Can't get enough clearance to get an air hose, water hose or anything into that area to test them and I'm 99% sure they are my problem. I already have A pillar fixed and elephant plugs/drains are clear - pretty sure my problem is the driver's side rear drain, but I can't see to access the drain or find any details about accessing it. Is it possible to stick and hanger or something straight down that gap between the top and the body and hit it from there? Thanks much!

Attachments

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
With the roof in the down position peer down around the hinge and you will see a shaped area forming the roof drain well area, the drain hole is in the bottom of this shaped area. Poking about with some stiff strimmer wire usually finds the drain hole so it can be pused down the drain tube that exits just in front of the rear wheels to rod it clear of debris. You can reverse rod it from underneath once you find the exit drain tube. Once rodded you can pour water into the top shaped well and you should see the water exit at the bottom as long as you have rodded the drain clear.

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
With the roof in the down position peer down around the hinge and you will see a shaped area forming the roof drain well area, the drain hole is in the bottom of this shaped area. Poking about with some stiff strimmer wire usually finds the drain hole so it can be pused down the drain tube that exits just in front of the rear wheels to rod it clear of debris. You can reverse rod it from underneath once you find the exit drain tube. Once rodded you can pour water into the top shaped well and you should see the water exit at the bottom as long as you have rodded the drain clear.
Excellent info, been meaning to do this for a while as preventative measure, cheers mate:thumbsup:

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Video here shows where the drains are, he removed the hood to get at them but its not required use strimmer wire or an airline with some tube attached to get to the drain hole with the hood in the down position.
Not a great video but you will get the idea where the drains are.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cBd7UP0dk

BMDoubleDrew

Wonderful! Great information - thanks very much. I know where it is - just couldn't see it and based on the video you had shared (that I had seen previously), it wasn't clear if the top had to come off. Glad to know I can probably access otherwise. Thanks!

BMDoubleDrew

Found the drains - top is clear but water not running out the bottom. Going to attack from the underside.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nylon line for a “weed Whacker” is good for this job.

Tony.

BMDoubleDrew

Continuing the sage of ensuring my drains are all cleared... I poured some water down the rear drain after inspecting it. Seemed clear, but the first 2 ounces I poured didn't come out. So prevailing logic suggested I pour more water in and I heard it flowing somewhere in the car and then noticed that water came out from in front of the rear tire AND behind the front tire. Should this be a concern? Might that mean the rear drain is not all the way clear and that water is finding another path along the bottom of the door sill or floor pan towards the front of the car? I'm going to jack it up this morning and see if I can work on the rear drains from the bottom - just wondered if this was normal drainage or if this is suggestive of a clogged drain still. Thanks much!

Attachments

Mus Musculus

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I can't find the link anymore, but I saw a video of a chap in the US using something similar to Mr Muscle Drain Unblocker (other brands available) to clear the back drains...

BMDoubleDrew

Pouring water down both back drains results in water coming out front drains. Car is perfectly level. Might be normal, but seems odd.

AirOps

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Most likely water is draining into the rocker panel, check the drain hose make sure it is clear and not blocked or damaged in the area of the rocker panel.