Clay bar... gimmick or good?

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
So years of the regular autoglym treatments had convinced me that I didn’t need anything else. Then the other day I tucked up the car in the garage and ran my hand over the paintwork - it felt a little bit rough so got me thinking 💭... what actually is this clay bar thing? Anyway, it got the better of me and when I was in Halfords getting some clips I was tempted by the allure of the car cleaning section and got myself a clay bar kit. Got home and gave it a try... amazing! It was really quick to use and took away all the roughness. I then used my normal Autoglym wax to give it a quick going over and it went on so much better and easier than usual... I thought my paintwork was good already but now it looks absolutely stunning! So it’s not a gimmick after all - would thoroughly recommend it! 👍

Attachments

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The main thing with using a clay bar is that after using it the wax buffs off so much easier as the surface is smoother.

Tony.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Alan used a clay bar on the black Z we used to have and it came out lovely, it was so smooth after he’d done it and it did look in much better condition .:)
I’d recommend it , it’s worth doing :)

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
I waxed/polished both of our cars last week with Meguiars 3 in 1.
Straight application on the 3 series but used Meguiars quick detailer and clay for the first time on the Zed. The finish was far better on the Zed despite its' age and as Tony said it buffs up far easier.

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
I waxed/polished both of our cars last week with Meguiars 3 in 1.
Straight application on the 3 series but used Meguiars quick detailer and clay for the first time on the Zed. The finish was far better on the Zed despite its' age and as Tony said it buffs up far easier.
That’s what I used. Very impressed 👍

Mark Gutteridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Claying is a very important stage of paintwork prep before using a prewax cleaner and then a final product wax etc.

It makes cleaning the car alot easier.

Clay bars are ok but can tricky to use.

I prefer a clay sponge or mitt.

Far easier to manipulate over the paintwork.

Mark

Mathew hayes

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 4 cylinder
So years of the regular autoglym treatments had convinced me that I didn’t need anything else. Then the other day I tucked up the car in the garage and ran my hand over the paintwork - it felt a little bit rough so got me thinking 💭... what actually is this clay bar thing? Anyway, it got the better of me and when I was in Halfords getting some clips I was tempted by the allure of the car cleaning section and got myself a clay bar kit. Got home and gave it a try... amazing! It was really quick to use and took away all the roughness. I then used my normal Autoglym wax to give it a quick going over and it went on so much better and easier than usual... I thought my paintwork was good already but now it looks absolutely stunning! So it’s not a gimmick after all - would thoroughly recommend it! 👍
Hi mike,
I’ve been looking at one of them clay bars too. The car looks well shiny. Awesome finish. You have good taste. I’ve put the mv1 alloys on my 1.9.sets the car off well.!👍

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
6F249E9B-FC93-4719-AD3E-CAFE47F2490F.jpeg
Hi mate - I used this one.... amazingly easy and quick... 20yr old paintwork looks like new! Polished arfter clay bar with Autoglym ultra deep shine. Just doing some work on the car - cavity wax inside thenew sills before putting the wheel arch liners back in.

Attachments

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Haha - thanks Mathew. It’s been a labour of love tbh - I’ve done loads more than I intended to but definitely worth it. Sills off, everything stripped back, rust treatment wherever needed, zinc primer, top coat, cavity wax, under seal, new sills, new nuts and bolts, everything cleaned an spotless and finally all back together. I didn’t get to do the wheel Arch Liners liners yesterday - I’d got new fastners (like little square rawl plugs) to hold them in place as I removed the old ones to ensure everything was treated... couldn’t find the new ones haha! Anyway, found them this morning and all back together. Re-fitting the liners was like a wrestling match under the car - great fun in the wind and pouring rain this morning! And now it’s sunny ☀ 😂. Cheers for your appreciation mate - my wife has been scowling at me for being dirty and wet all day so it’s nice to get supportive comments 😂

Attachments

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Haha - thanks Mathew. It’s been a labour of love tbh - I’ve done loads more than I intended to but definitely worth it................
Well done. I remember a similar labour of love years ago -including re-spraying arch liners - by the way they will come out a lot easier next time:whistle:=))

Attachments

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Amazing job you did there! Suspension and brakes next time for me... and now I’ve done it once it will be a piece of cake 😂.... I hope! 👍

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
It's the best few pounds you'll spend and hour or so's effort on the car. The results improve the paintwork enormously. So much more than any single preparation you will buy.