Cheap Tyres… (really cheap) Am I going to die?

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Ok. My new to me BMW E21 is not much of a sports car and until I decide what I am going to do with it, I just take it out for some careful driving.
In a month I have to get it in for inspection (local MOT) and definitely need new tyres.
my options are
Dunlop 185/70/13 at a mind blowing 255€ EACH
Barum Brillantis at 86€ each
Petlas Elegant PT311 at 51€ each

the Dunlops are unexplainably expensive and the reasonable choice seems to be the Barums.
but on the other hand… how bad can the cheaper Petlas can be?
any input on “cheap” rubber? Anyone has to share a success/horror story?
it is just 120€ difference, but why not spend for beer?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Ok. My new to me BMW E21 is not much of a sports car and until I decide what I am going to do with it, I just take it out for some careful driving.
In a month I have to get it in for inspection (local MOT) and definitely need new tyres.
my options are
Dunlop 185/70/13 at a mind blowing 255€ EACH
Barum Brillantis at 86€ each
Petlas Elegant PT311 at 51€ each

the Dunlops are unexplainably expensive and the reasonable choice seems to be the Barums.
but on the other hand… how bad can the cheaper Petlas can be?
any input on “cheap” rubber? Anyone has to share a success/horror story?
it is just 120€ difference, but why not spend for beer?
No personal experience, however ....

I think in conclusion you'd be better off using Weetabix as tyres.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Not sure about the Brillantis bit, but Barum are a well established and reasonably respected tyre, I would run on them. They are probably part of a major manufacturing group anyway. Guess the sun there can kill a tyre before they wear out and not a lot of rain (?) so slicks probably give better grip!!!
Undortunately tyres over here last about two summers. After two full seasons no matter the thread they are literally toast.
parking in a garage helps but still 40+ celsius (under the shade) and a real and recorded 57 to 60 degrees on the asphalt roads really kill them quickly.

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
I generally check how many sidewall plies cheaper tyres have. The really cheap ones are only two and generally fabric, much easier to burst. Personally I like at least one steel ply. Much harder to burst, not so prone to cracking.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Totally agree with Iain regarding sidewall cracking and also in between the treads too with cheaper range tyres. What we used to refer to as Siamese Slippers. ;)

Tony.

DakarZ3_NZ

Dedicated Member
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Roadster
You can’t put a price on safety, and the best thing you can put between you and the road is a set of good tyres…so don’t skimp on safety and go with the best rubber you can afford/justify.

Last edited:

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Freight forwarding maybe? A friend uses that to send stuff too heavy/bulky for the plane, backwards and forwards to Poland. I’ve seen small trucks with Greece>UK>Greece on them, whilst sitting in traffic, no idea of the company names though, they were in Greek.
I can attest Camskill are really helpful, they’ll have the dimensions and weight to hand.

Only other option may be eBay Global Shipping, I use that quite a bit.

Rod and Kate

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
No personal experience, however ....

I think in conclusion you'd be better off using Weetabix as tyres.
Go for the family pack!! It's better value.😉

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Found someone from Bulgaria that will send cash on delivery a set of Continental Eco Contacts dated 2021 (supposed to be stored in a dry and dark place) at 75 each.
at least I am going to see the actual product before I pay.
my wife found his advertisement on Facebook.
it seems I might end up dead after all… he will be here in two weeks and asked for a “rendez vous” at a shady spot in the international transport area if Athens.
Ever since I bought the E21, in my quest for parts and bit and pieces I have embraced danger and becoming sort of an outlaw…. The places Ive been are beyond any imagination…. Hahaha

Toby

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
You want to scrimp on the only thing keeping you in contact with the road ?

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
You want to scrimp on the only thing keeping you in contact with the road ?
For sure I am not paying 1.000€ for a set of Dunlops.
I think I got a good deal on the Contis. As long as after the delivery I return home with both my kidneys and alive, I guess this went well.