M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Great writeup, many thanks to Zedonist. :)

Z

zedonist

Well the seat bushes were well and truly tested today, and what a difference, not a jot of movement, well worth the RSI to get a good fit, and the seats move quicker and ,more silent since re-greasing the kebabs

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I will get mine done this year!

Z

zedonist

I am happy to do anyone's for an hours labour 30 quid, just travel to mine.....

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Just got this emailed through the sites contact form. Said I would pass it on... ;)

• Name: steve
  • Email Address: <removed>
  • Your Message: just wanted to say thanks for such easy, straight-forward directions on how to fix the rocking seats. As I have little experience working on cars I was a bit intimidated, but your post was so clear I actually finished in about an hour (although I did skip the wine - perhaps next time). again, thanks.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Ahh yes supplied some bushes a couple of weeks ago to Steve. ;)

metalmickey

Zorg Addict
The M44 Massive
Model of Z

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I presume you have tried WD40 or similar and if you can somehow get as long an extension bar on as you can to generate some torque you should be able to free them off. Alternatively you could try heating the head of the bolt up with one of those micro blow torches obviously being carefull not to set the carpet alight or igniting any grease on the runners, just need to be a bit carefull if you end doing this.

metalmickey

Zorg Addict
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Hi Aceman
Thank you for those tips.
I have tried WD40 but they still won't budge. Being in the carpet game I know all about the effects of heat on fibre. I suspect that the lack of space may be the issue I need to resolve, however I have a cunning plan.
Tomorrow I intend to visit my local MOT/Service garage armed with folding money and I will ask them to use their compressed air torque wrench on the stubborn buggers. I am sure that was the way they were tightened initially when the car was built.
I am hoping to recoup the cash by exposing the bootie hidden beneath the seats! Once I get those bolts loose I can set to the task of installing your excellent bushes!
I will post details of the outcome successful or otherwise.
Thanks again.
MM

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Yes they are a pain to try and get a socket on to effectively.

Ideally you need a long handle for extra leverage, but there just isn't the space. I think the first time I removed mine involved a fair bit of swearing.

I managed to cross thread a rear bolt refitting them but a local garage sorted it in about 15 seconds. They had a much better selection of tools than I did ;)

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Forgot about using a windy gun. Fortunatly that is something I do possess in my arsenal of tools but for some reason didn't come to mind. Doh! :facepalm:

Z

zedonist

Are you turning them the right way? Mine only needed a sicker and wrench.........

metalmickey

Zorg Addict
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Job done. Local GO Service station obliged with the stubborn bolts. No real problems encountered however recommend really protecting the sills and interior trim well.
I used carpet underlay but the rails still marked the vinyl interior. Suggest putting additional padding on these ends. Tip for sanding down the bushes. A squash ball makes a very good handle. It fits into the hole in the centre snugly and allows easy movement without the need for gloves.
Thank you guys for all your help with this project. In total it took about 3 hours from start to to finish. The first one went well and the second one (driver's side) was quicker having mastered the technique.
Couple of days off now to rest my back. It does not like bending and twisting in confined spaces. A glass of wine will be my reward. Total sum recovered from underneath £3.16 and some peanuts. I won't be keeping the peanuts to have with my glass of wine!
MM

Z

zedonist

See the wine is key to this and other zed related projects..........

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
I'm having a go at mine this afternoon as soon as the Australia v Uruguay match is over.

it's been a long time since I tackled 4 bushes on a Sunday afternoon=))

Z

zedonist

Not many about with all this waxing and shaving, the odd one or two in Brazil I hear...