car ramps

ningaloo

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Can anyone recommend a decent set of car ramps? - nothing too steep and the back end of my beloved z3 will hit the floor!:)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
As a personal preference I think a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands are more useful and adaptable. Plus I haven't seen any ramps anywhere in the trade for a very long time. I will ask our suppliers tomorrow to see what if any are available for you.

ningaloo

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
As a personal preference I think a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands are more useful and adaptable. Plus I haven't seen any ramps anywhere in the trade for a very long time. I will ask our suppliers tomorrow to see what if any are available for you.
Excellent

Many thanks

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Excellent

Many thanks
Hey Ningaloo, I put out some enquiries today re car ramps and hopefully will have some info tomorrow (sat).

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I have had a good look at the cj auto ones and they are very good quality and the ones I would go for. The long ramp one I have seen before and is a good idea but they have got to be heavy and cumbersome to move.

I have a set of the standard ramps with the xlip on extensions which are ok but are limited in height so I have been thinking of some way to raise them a few inches safely with railway sleepers maybe.

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
That is exactly my main issue with these.
They max raise your car by 38 cm.
Those from CJ-auto can be used on all 4 wheels.
If you use them on 4 wheels, then put axle stands under all 4 corners (needed if you need to remove the wheels).
The suspension will give in also, resulting your wheels will not be much off the ground any more.

38cm is also tight if you need to weld, drill, etc

I would ideally have the car up for about 50 cm (max 60 cm).
50 cm is also the max height on most jacks (although that's not under the wheels - I often tend to use a 10cm wooden block under the sill to get the extra lift)

vintage42

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
The OP seemed to ask about simple ramps. Rhino's are about the highest simple ramps for the Z3. Higher ramps contact the body before the tires begin to raise the car.
For higher lifting, there are many kinds of other ramp and lift systems, I know.

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
The OP asked about ramps. These are about the highest ramps for the Z3. Ramps higher than the Rhino contact the body before the tires begin to raise the car.
unless you get the one that are adjustable in height ones you get on them.
Or ramps that are longer (with extra running-up plates)

...but those are much more expensive then those that you mention.
Again it depends on what you want to do with them and what you want to pay for them.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Excellent

Many thanks
Hi,I only got one reply on prices for car ramps today. From Andrew Page, 2.5 ton £25.31 + vat order for next day. That is trade price to me so would probably be 15% more. Do you have an Andrew Page depot near you? I will see what else I can discover on Monday. Cheers, Tony.

ningaloo

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Hi t tony

Sorry been away so sorry for late reply - yes one not too far way from me in leicester- will give them a call

Cheers

Ningaloo