Car prices

Simon Blythe

Zorg Guru (I)
I've noticed the prices are literally all over the place on a Z3 so how on earth do you price up a car?
I'd have thought my own car is worth 3.5k but similar cars on eBay etc are up to 6k. Why are the prices so widespread?

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
I've noticed the prices are literally all over the place on a Z3 so how on earth do you price up a car?
I'd have thought my own car is worth 3.5k but similar cars on eBay etc are up to 6k. Why are the prices so widespread?
It's the next BMW to go classics (so silly prices) same happened with e30's and then e36's
I wanted an e30 but prices went sillly years ago so got a Z.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Dealers are seeing a chance to earn a big crust, Joe public see their car at a more realistic price hence the price differential. I'd like to think with my boot and rear bumper painted I could draw £3000-3500 also but as I'd never sell it doesn't really matter to me.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Prices need to rise a lot more to get my money back, But as the car is an investment in pleasure not cash its irrelevant to me.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Prices need to rise a lot more to get my money back, But as the car is an investment in pleasure not cash its irrelevant to me.
Same here Paul but when your an enthusiast owner you will rarely make money on your car.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Also, at the end of the day, any car is only worth what someone will give you for it. Because someone asks£6,000 doesn't necessarily mean they'll get it.

Tony.

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
So many older cars are going up in value, or predicted to go up.

I know I'm biased but I say the Z3 is one of the best looking small roadsters money can buy.

I also have a 981 Boxster S in my little collection worth eight times more than my Z3, guess which one lives in the garage and gets the most attention when it goes out.

Simon Blythe

Zorg Guru (I)
So many older cars are going up in value, or predicted to go up.

I know I'm biased but I say the Z3 is one of the best looking small roadsters money can buy.

I also have a 981 Boxster S in my little collection worth eight times more than my Z3, guess which one lives in the garage and gets the most attention when it goes out.
Good man!!

I have two Zeds and guess which one is going at the weekend?

Reactions: Tfp

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
The fact that Sytners are buying Z3's and putting them up for big money is a good sign that they're getting desirable.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
It's a beautiful car but I just don't see that money in them.....yet!
I think the thing is: What other straight six auto RWD is there that gives a classic feel but not classic costs. Lots of people getting out of classic Brit roadsters will have a lot more than 10k in their pockets. Can't believe how much a old stag goes for these days!!

Reactions: Tfp

Redsheep

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
I've got a gut feel that the prefacelift 2.8 will rise continuously in price.
Also feel that low mileage will also play a big part, regardless of how bulletproof these engines are.....it's just a car thing.
I didn't buy as an investment, but if I do sell, I would hope to recoup my expenditure while having lots of fun for free.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
The trouble is that all these high priced cars are garage queens. A car is meant to be driven, I have had my Zed for nearly 9 years and done 91,000 miles. It is well looked after and in A1 condition but would not fetch a high price because of it's mileage however I have enjoyed every minute.
I sold my E30 with 235,000 on the clock and even my old GT6 had 200,00 when I sold it although I think the only original part on that was the roof.

Redsheep

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
That's the choice.
My Zed has done under 5k in the last 7 years and I won't add that much to it....lucky if I do 2k per year - I'll blame the weather up here.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
When you say prices are all over the place are you looking at cars up for sale or actual prices realised? You need to look at sold prices to get closer to a more reliable benchmark.