Camshaft position sensor voltage

Rcon101

Hello everyone

Your advice is very much appreciated.

My car is a Z3 2.8 1997 model, I have replaced the camshaft position sensor but I am still getting codes for this sensor.

Using the old sensor I have cut into the cable to do voltage checks, with the ignition on engine not running there are no voltage readings.

I have done continuity checks back to dme connector, no problems also checked all fuses.

Does anyone know what voltages I should be seeing on this sensor.

Many Thanks
Rcon101

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Firstly, where did you source your replacement sensor? If it was a cheaper option from eBay or similar it is quite possible the sensor could be faulty. Do the code(s) not clear at all, or do they clear and then come back?
Is this the inlet camshaft sensor?

Tony.

Krisztian Somodi

British Zeds
Model of Z
You should have 5V when the cam sensor is active and 2.5 when not. DO NOT install any aftermarket, and I really stress this, DO NOT. Get an original cam position sensor. I have seen 3 Meyle and 4 Siemens sensors create this exact problem. And if you install an original one and still don't get any voltage, it's the DME. If you say you have continuity on the harness to DME and you get error codes, it is the sensor, ti doesn't matter is new. You need an original one.

Rcon101

Firstly, where did you source your replacement sensor? If it was a cheaper option from eBay or similar it is quite possible the sensor could be faulty. Do the code(s) not clear at all, or do they clear and then come back?

Tony.

Tony.
Hi Tony

Yes it is a cheaper sensor from amazon, the codes do clear but come back when engine is started, it is the inlet camshaft sensor.

Devon Z

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
99 Topaz Individual
Whilst I agree there is a lot of Chinese crap on eBay there is quality parts too you just have to do some research.

I had an irritating hesitation on mine so I replaced both inlet and exhaust with sensors from a German OE supplier called Febi cured the issue and made the car more responsive and been in the car longer than the faulty BMW one’s now.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Tony

Yes it is a cheaper sensor from amazon, the codes do clear but come back when engine is started, it is the inlet camshaft sensor.
Best to buy OEM quality parts. When it comes to these items you can buy cheap and buy twice and still not fix it.See if you can get a refund and put it towards a genuine or OEM one.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Whilst I agree there is a lot of Chinese crap on eBay there is quality parts too you just have to do some research.

I had an irritating hesitation on mine so I replaced both inlet and exhaust with sensors from a German OE supplier called Febi cured the issue and made the car more responsive and been in the car longer than the faulty BMW one’s now.
Febi is an OEM supplier. Mine came from ECP in Lincoln in a Febi box but was actually a Bosch part with the logo ground off. However the original part number was still there and when put into Google it came back with Bosch part.

Tony.

Rcon101

Thank you all for your advice, I will buy an original sensor and let you know how I get on.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Always best to use oem replacements, have also used Hass brand camshaft sensors on a couple of mates cars in the past and have had no problems with them. Don't be tempted by cheap ebay sensors especially when needing to replace Maf sensors, always go for oem Bosch or Seimens brands. Learnt that lesson years ago when I had Maf troubles, used a cheap ebay unit, found that didn't work, returned and got my money back, went oem with a Bosch unit and it instantly cured the car.

Rcon101

Hello everyone

Your advice is very much appreciated.

My car is a Z3 2.8 1997 model, I have replaced the camshaft position sensor but I am still getting codes for this sensor.

Using the old sensor I have cut into the cable to do voltage checks, with the ignition on engine not running there are no voltage readings.

I have done continuity checks back to dme connector, no problems also checked all fuses.

Does anyone know what voltages I should be seeing on this sensor.

Many Thanks
Rcon101

Hello everyone

I replaced the camshaft position sensor today with one from a BMW dealer and the code has gone.

Thanks you all.

Rcon101

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Glad you got it sorted in the end. You'll know for another time, ........ and so will your wallet but it's just how it is.

Tony.