Brake pipes.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I tested a 2006 E85 Z4 today and when I looked at the front inner brake pipes which go to the flexible hoses they looked eminently passable. For some reason I lifted the plastic wing liner and it was a different story.
20171220_142500.jpg

And on closer inspection I wouldn't want this on my car.
20171220_142525.jpg

You're not obliged to look under covers etc. but I've seen similar on old Freelanders and known pipes burst in a place where you couldn't see the pipe.
So the moral of the story is, if you own an older Z4 have a good luck and see if yours are ok. Easy job to change, n/s one has loads of room near the bulkhead to join a new piece of pipe in and the o/s one goes directly to the ABS pump.

Tony.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Similar case with my Z3, I had all the brake pipes that were corroded replaced when I bought the car but when I went to take the sill covers off, I came to see this behind the liners.

IMG_20170716_165611.jpg

I don't know whether mine would need replacing though?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
They will at some point mate and for what they cost it's a no brainer really. If you could ease that pipe out of the clips you will likely see lumps of corrosion fall off leaving some pitting of the pipe surface. That in effect reduces the thickness of the pipe wall making it more likely to burst under pressure. Brake pipe corrosion is one of the hardest items to assess in my opinion.

Tony.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
As mentioned above same happens on the Z3 @t-tony, lift the plastic liner back and the pipes rot just where the body clip is, had to do both sides on my car.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I've had a few Z3's actually burst on me after I've done a rebuild. They don't like being disturbed when they are that bad. I now keep brake line and a flaring kit in the garage now.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Reactions: Lee

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
As mentioned above same happens on the Z3 @t-tony, lift the plastic liner back and the pipes rot just where the body clip is, had to do both sides on my car.
It happens on many vehicles Brian, most main front to rear pipes are perfect apart from where they're squeezed into those hard plastic clips which scratch the metal surface and corrosion sets in. If only the makers applied a little grease to the clips before the pipes were forced into them , they would still be ok.

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
As this has been a problem for donkey's years, why are brake pipes still made of mild steel?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
££££££££

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
As this has been a problem for donkey's years, why are brake pipes still made of mild steel?
I had several Ford Pick-up trucks over the years and they were known for their brake lines rusting out. I started buying a more expensive alloy brake line in a 25 foot coil that, if I remember correctly, contained a nickle alloy and was extremely durable. After a few years, I became quite adept at replacing my brake lines, measuring them, bending them to fit and using a double flare kit. It can still be a pain in the tail in tight spots though............Frankie

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hey Frankie, I have seen pipes on older model American cars, Jeeps in particular, with like an outer wire coiled around the pipes as an extra protection maybe?. I have always found it difficult to assess the corrosion to the inner core of the pipe when they're done like this. Is it still common to see this now?

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hey Frankie, I have seen pipes on older model American cars, Jeeps in particular, with like an outer wire coiled around the pipes as an extra protection maybe?. I have always found it difficult to assess the corrosion to the inner core of the pipe when they're done like this. Is it still common to see this now?

Tony.
I haven't seen it in a long time..................Frankie

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I haven't seen it in a long time..................Frankie
Got to be a good thing mate, it didn't fill me with confidence at all.

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3

Tony.
I think those internal coil of wires were ment to keep the hose from collapsing. From the internet.........

upload_2017-12-21_17-45-42.jpeg
The primary concern here is vacuum in the system created as the engine cools. If your radiator cap is not releasing pressure on the system, it can cause a vacuum to develop (coolant is unable to move to the reservoir/overflow tank). This can collapse the upperradiator hose.

and

What would cause a the lower radiator hose to collapse?
Causes and Fixes. The most common cause for radiator hose collapse is a vacuum issue caused by a faulty radiator cap. ... Another common problem is clogging of the smaller radiator runoff hose, which leads to the coolant tank. As the engine cools, if fluid cannot return to the tank, this will also cause a vacuum.May 16, 2017

Layor

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 SDrive 23i M Sport 2.5Ltr. H.T Convertable
Hi Tony, thanks for that info. I have to change a couple of rear pipes, from the flexi hose to the calipers later, but I will definitely be checking the rest of the pipe system. Very much appreciated.
Colin.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
No, what I was talking about were the steel brake lines having an outer coil around them Frankie. I will take a picture next time I see that old Jeep.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Tony, thanks for that info. I have to change a couple of rear pipes, from the flexi hose to the calipers later, but I will definitely be checking the rest of the pipe system. Very much appreciated.
Colin.
Hi Colin I took a couple of pictures this morning.
20171222_075237.jpg

This where I joined the N/S pipe. Easy to do with arch liner out of the way.
20171222_075214.jpg

The O/S one goes directly to the ABS pump.

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
No, what I was talking about were the steel brake lines having an outer coil around them Frankie. I will take a picture next time I see that old Jeep.

Tony.
I've seen them and don't really know what that's all about. The only thing that I can imagine is that the coiled wire around them might serve as a spacer so the line itself avoids direct contact with anything else except the coil. That 's just a guess. It's probably something else. Let me look on the internet..............Frankie

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3

Tony.
I was looking for the answer to the coil and came across another thing that came up when I looked at a coil on a brake line......the coil before the brake line attaches to the master cylinder..........

They said this was to take up any vibrations or movement between the car frame and the master cylinder..........never thought about it before even though I've always seen it............Frankie

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3

Tony.
I came across this on a forum page that came up when I Googled coils on brake lines...........

The brake lines from the factory have a rock guard around the brake line in the locations were rocks or flying objects can damage them. You can get the rock guard in bulk from Classic tube. I put it over the brake line on the rear dif. becuse they are in front of the axle..and the main line back to the rearend.

Frankie