Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake light test plausibility

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by Roadster girl, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Roadster girl

Roadster girl Newbie

I have recently scanned my Z3 (first reg 2000. 2.8) for fault codes. Code 27 has come up and according to my Book of Codes it reads:- Brake Light Test Plausibility.
    Can anyone help me to understand what this means?

Thanks to anyone out there.

2. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    Hi Roadster girl and a warm welcome to the forum. :ymhug:

To answer your question I am not entirely sure but it maybe you have a fault with your brake light switch being intermittent but I am not familiar with that code number. What code reader are you using is it a generic OBD scanner you have if so it may be better to get your car scanned with a BMW specific scanner which will give more detail as to what the error is. Are you getting any other symptoms other than this code showing up, is the dashboard light on as sometimes intermittent faults don't always show up with the dash light. A BMW specific scanner will tell you if it is a pending code or a permanent logged code. Could be nothing to worry about but more information is required to make an educated guess.

What general are of the country are you in as there are always willing people on here with BMW scanners who will help a damsel in distress. :D

Edit: Just found this document which details the BMW DTC codes, it may help you but code 27 refers to an "Idle Control Valve error" but that doesn't correspond to what you report. :-\

Attached Files:

3. Roadster girl

Roadster girl Newbie

Hi Aceman

Maybe we're getting somewhere. I've done a bit of checking and the scan tool is an R5/FCX-3 made by Peake which is a code/reset tool for BMW's. They also supply the list of codes so I don't know why the codes may be different from that which a dealership comes up with. Incidentally, over the past three years since I've owned the car, the amber ABS symbol comes on occasionally but if I stop and switch everything off for 5 seconds, switch on again and drive away, within 2 or 3 seconds the light goes out until the next time.

Many thanks for all your help. If you come up with any other solutions, let me know.

I'm in far flung Argyll, Scotland. Lovely part of the country! Sun's shining today.

4. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    Aah, sounds like you have got a dodgy ABS sensor then which is not uncommon and fairly easy to fix.

The Peak tools are very good but I believe they do have their own set of codes that are specific to them rather than using the OBD protocol codes that other use.

Hope you get it fixed soon so you can enjoy the forthcoming weather.

5. Roadster girl

Roadster girl Newbie

Thanks Aceman. I'll get it fixed........more money!

6. Jamezee

Jamezee Zorg Guru (II)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.2 sport
    Welcome to the forum Roadster Girl :-h

7. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

Welcome from me too.

8. Roadster girl

Roadster girl Newbie